Prithvi II missile test fired successfully
- India test-fired its indigenously developed Prithvi-II missile.
- This missile is capable of carrying 500 kg to 1000 kg of warheads.
- The missile tested as part of a user trial by the army from a test range at Chandipur.
- It was conducted by the Strategic Force Command (SFC) and was monitored by the scientists from DRDO.
Nidar, first lightest gun of India launched
- It weighs merely 250 gms and it was launched to boost the ‘Make in India’ initiative.
- It has been designed and manufactured by the state-run Rifle Factory Ishapore located in West Bengal.
- Nidar is lightest revolver ever made in India with cheapest price tag of Rs 35,000 only.
First silk road train arrived in Tehran from China.
- The first cargo train to connect Iran and China arrived in Tehran.
- Train started its journey from China’s eastern Zhejiang province and it took 14 days to reach final destination.
- It marks the revival the ancient Silk Road and gives impetus to China’s ambitious One Belt One Road (OBOR) initiative part of revived Silk Road diplomacy.
Non Tax Receipt portal launched by Union Govt.
- Fin Min. Arun Jaitely launched NTRP for electronic collection of over Rs. 2 Trillion annually in non tax receipts.
- The portal was launched as part of Union Govt’s flagship Digital India campaign.
- Currently, non-tax revenues are collected by physical instruments such as bank draft or cheque or cash.
- This portal will reduce a lot of manual work now.
Freedom 251, world’s cheapest smartphone to be launched by Ringing Bells company
- Ringing bells is noida based company.
- Company is all set to launch the world’s cheapest 3G smartphone at just Rs 251 in India today.
- Bookings for the Freedom 251 will start from 18 February from 6.00 am in the morning and will close on 21 February at 8.00 pm.
HCL tech to external IT business of Volvo Group.
- HCL technology is 4th largest software services giant.
- HCL has signed a deal for 5 years outsourcing with Volvo.
- HCL technology has closed it in $1 billion-plus.
- Volvo’s IT business is an important addition of HCL’s portfolio, as it brings in an annual billing of about USD 200 million.
58th Grammy Awards 2016 held at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.
- The ceremony recognized the best recordings, compositions and artists of the eligibility year which was from 01/10/2014 to 30/09/2015.
- It was the sixteenth Grammy ceremony.
- Best album of the year : 1989 – Taylor Swift
- Best record of the year:Uptown Funk- Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars
- Best song of the year: Thinking Out Loud-Ed Sheeran & Amy Wadge
- Best new artist : Meghan Trainor
PNB declares UB holdings ltd willful defaulter.
- Vijay Mallya, led United Breweries Holdings Ltd has been declared a wilful defaulter by PNB on 16th February 2016.
- On 13 November 2015, SBI had declared United Breweries and Mallya as wilful defaulters.
- The willful defaulter tag is in connection with the loan taken by the company for the now grounded airline Kingfisher Airlines Ltd.
NRDC signed MoA with IACS on technology transfer.
- MoA was signed for commercialisation of technologies and intellectual properties (IP) developed at IACS.
- Under this MoA, NRDC will provide its services in IP Evaluation and Valuation in terms of their commercial potential to IACS.
3rd US Asean summit started in California.
- Summit between leaders from the Associations of Southeast Asian Nations and The United States has began in California.
- The agenda of 2 day meeting includes Maritime security in the South China sea.
- The focus will also be around innovation and entrepreneurship.
Boutros Ghali, former UN Secretary general passes away
- He was 93. He has served as 6th UN secretary General from 1992 to 1996.
- He was first United Nations’ first secretary-general from Africa.
- Prior to joining UN, he had worked in the administrations of Egyptian Presidents Anwar Sadat and Hosni Mubarak.