67th Republic Day Celebrated ; Chief Guest : France President Francois Hollande
- President of France was the chief guest at 67th Republic Day Celebration.
- The Day is celebrated to mark the day when our constitution of India came into force replacing Govt of India Act (1935) as governing document of India.
14 Agreement including 36 Rafale Aircraft deal signed between India and Frace
- The agreements including MoU on purchase of 36 Rafale Aircrafts were signed during the State Visit of President Francois Hollande of France to India.
- Hollande was the Chief Guest at the 67th India’s Republic Day (26 January 2016) celebrations.
- He was the fifth French leader to be a chief guest at India’s Republic Day celebrations, maximum number from any country so far.
Following MoUs signed between India and France :
- MoU on purchase of 36 Rafale Aircrafts
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and Centre National D’études Spatiales (CNES) Implementation Arrangement on hosting Argos-4 Payload onboard India’s Oceansat-3 satellite
- ISRO and CNES Implementation Arrangement on a future joint Thermal Infrared earth observation mission
- Letter of Intent on CNES, France participation in ISRO’s next Mars Mission
- Shareholding Agreement on JV between Alstom and Indian Railways for production of 800 electric locomotives in Madhepura Bihar
- Agreement between Indian Railways and SNCF, French Railways for joint feasibility study for the renovation of Ludhiana and Ambala railway stations
- MOU between Food Safety & Standards Authority of India and Agence nationale de sécurité sanitaire de l’alimentation (ANSES) in food safety
- Partnership Agreement on Cooperation in Public Administration between Ministry of Personnel & Public Grievances and French
- Declaration of Intent for conducting next round of Namaste France (Indian festival) in 2016 and Bonjour India (French festival) 2017
- Cultural Exchange Programme for the period 2016-2018
- Arrangement for establishment of an Indo- French Ministerial level Joint Committee on Science & Technology
- MoU for Industry Sponsored PhD Fellowship between IIT Mumbai and Thales Systemes Aeroportes
- Cooperation Agreement between IISER, Pune and ENS de Lyon (France) for joint research, teaching, exchange of personnel etc.
- Agreement of Cooperation between CNRS, TB, UBO, UBS, ENSTA Bretagne, ENIB (French Universities) and IIT Mumbai in the field of Higher Education & Research.
Manipal Hospitals becomes first centre for MRCP(UK) PACES examination in Karnataka
- MRCP practical assessment of examination skills (PACES) mock exam will be conducetd in collaboration with UK-based Royal College of Physicians Federation.
- This is the final qualifying exam for getting MRCP UK degree thus providing an opportunity for students to directly practice in the UK.
Marvin Minsky, pioneer of Artificial Intelliegence passes away.
- He was 88. Minsky, a professor emeritus at the MIT Media Lab, helped in work that helped inspired the creation of the personal computer and the Internet.
- In 1959, he co-founded the MIT Artificial Intelligence Project (AIT) with John McCarthy, who is credited with coining the term “artificial intelligence.”
- Now AIT is known as Artificial Intelligence Laboratory.
3rd National Yash Chopra Memorial Award honored on bollywood actress Rekha
- Maharashtra Governor C Vidyasagar Rao presented the award to the actress in recognition of her talent and contribution to the film industry.
Arunachal Pradesh under President Rule.
- President Pranab Mukherjee approved the Union Cabinet’s recommendation for the imposition of President’s rule on Arunachal Pradesh.
- He gave the assent after hosting the traditional ‘At Home’ or reception at Rastrapati Bhavan for French President Francois Hollande as part of the Republic Day celebrations.
Kerala dentist Sanjeev Koshy honored with Order of Asutrailia award.
- He was given the award for his service to dentistry in Victoria, Australia.
- He was honoured on the Australia Day Awards 2016, by the Governor General of Australia.
- Koshy has served as the president of the Kerala Dental Council and president of the Indian Dental Association.
- It is awarded to recognise Australian citizens and other persons for achievement or meritorious service.
Abe Vigoda, hollywood actor passes away.
- He is known for his work in The Godfather and on the television series Barney Miller,
- He passed away on 26 January 2016 in New Jersey following natural causes.
- He was 94. He was best known for his roles as mobster Tessio in the movie The Godfather.
FIH Hocket Stars Awards Winners 2015 announced.
The awards were established in 1998 and have been awarded annually ever since.
- FIH Player of the Year Award (Men) – Netherland’s Robert Van der Horst
- Women’s FIH Player of the Year Award (Women) – Netherland’s Lidewij Welten
- Goalkeeper of the year (Women) – Joyce Sombroek (The Netherlands)
- Goalkeeper of the year (Men) – David Harte (Ireland)
- Rising Star of the Year (Women) – Lily Owsley (Great Britain)
- Rising Star of the Year (Men) – Chrisopher Rühr (Germany)
West Indies Cricketer Shivnarine Chanderpaul announced from International Cricket.
- West Indies selectors dropped him after a weak performance during the three-Test series at home against England.
A Glance at his career :
- Shivnarine Chanderpaul is the first Indo-Caribbean to play 100 Tests for the West Indies.
- He captained West Indies cricket team in 14 Tests and 16 One Day Internationals.
- He has scored 20000 runs in international cricket.
- In 2008, he was named as one of the five Cricketers of the Year by the Wisden Cricketers’ Almanack, and as the Player of the Year by the International Cricket Council.
- His highest score in Tests was 203 not out and he finished with an average of 51.37, and he also posted a top score of 150 in ODIs, finishing with an average of 41.60.