BHU turned 100 years on 13th Feb.
- BHU was founded by Freedom fighter Pt. Madan Mohan Malviya.
- BHU was founded as important seat of higher education in 1916.
- During time of its establishment it was first university in India that was the result of a private individual’s efforts.
- BHU had played an important role in the freedom movement of India.
World Radio Day observed on 13th Feb
- Theme : Radio in Times of Emergency and Disaster
- To mark the occasion, various activities conducted across India celebrating importance of radio in the day to day life.
- In Odisha, a two-day annual international event Outreach International Radio Fair 2016 was inaugurated in Bhubaneswar.
Tamar Hahn appointed as United Nations Information Centre Director
- She took the charge of the office after she was appointed to this post by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.
- Prior to this appointment, she was the Regional Adviser for Resource Mobilization and Partnerships at the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) Regional Office for the Caribbean and Latin America in Panama City (Panama).
Renowned Malayalam poet ONB Kurup passes away.
- He was 84 and popularly known as ONV, “Ottaplakkal Nambiyadikkal Velu Kurup”
- He has made significant contributions to the Malayalam film music.
- He was also was part of the progressive movement in Kerala.
Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan visited India.
- Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan on 12 February 2016 concluded his 3-day visit to India.
- He is also the deputy supreme commander of UAE armed forces
- He visited India on invitation of Narendra Modi who became the first Prime Minister to visit the UAE after a gap of 34 years in August 2015.
Asad Rauf, Pakistani cricket umpire banned for five years.
- BCCI has banned has banned Pakistani umpire Asad Rauf for five years after its disciplinary committee found him guilty of corrupt practices.
- It was announced by BCCI president Shashank Manohar who had headed the disciplinary committee.
- He was accused of accepting expensive gifts from bookies besides placing bets on IPL matches in the 2013 edition.