WHO declared Public health Emergency of International concern over Zika virus outbreak
- Zika virus is linked to birth defects in the Americas.
- UN health agency convened an emergency meeting of independent experts in Geneva to assess the outbreak of the virus.
- This was the first meeting of the Emergency Committee (EC) convened by the Director-General under the International Health Regulations (2005) (IHR 2005).
15 Crore rupees to be spent on Swachh Bharat Mission by Himachal Pradesh in Kinnaur.
- Himachal Pradesh to spend 15 crore rupees on Swachh Bharat Mission in Kinnaur.
- The funds will be utilized on capacity building and organizing of workshops for awareness.
- Under the Mission, target has been also fixed to involve all the schools, government institutions and villages.
Archana Ramasundram : first woman to head paramilitary force.
- He was appointed as DG of SSB that guard India’s frontiers with Nepal and Bhutan.
- With this appointment, Ramasundram became the first woman to head a paramilitary force.
- 58-year-old Ramasundram is currently the Director of National Crime Records Bureau.
Saroj Kumar Jha appointed as Senior Director for Fragility, Conflict and Violence Group at World Bank.
- He was appointed to provide strategic leadership to address the challenge of fragility, conflict and violence, working across the Bank Group and in close collaboration with partnes.
- The WB President Jim Young Kim assigned him the new role.
Alphabet dethrone Apple as most valuable company of World.
- Operating income from its core businesses rose 23% in 2015.
- Investors liked what they saw and shares spiked 8% in after-hours trading.
SBI Flexipay Home Loan launched.
- SBI Flexipay Home Loan is aimed at youngesters with a rising income.
- It allows takers the option of only paying the interest on the loan for first year.
- Targeted at the salaried-class, the interest rate is currently 9.55% – with women applicants having to pay a lower interest of 9.50%.
S N Prasad assumed Charge as CIL director.
- S N Prasad has taken over as Director (Marketing), Coal India Ltd, from February 1.
- According to a CIL release, Prasad replaces B K Saxena (retired).
- Prior to this elevation Prasad was General Manager (Sales & Marketing) in South Eastern Coalfields Ltd, the Bilaspur-based subsidiary of CIL.
Ayurveda meet to be opened by Modi at Kozhikode.
- PM Modi will arrive at Kozhikode early this afternoon to open the ‘vision conclave’ of the Global Ayurveda Fest.
- The ayurveda fest, being held from January 31 to February 4, is showcasing the ayurvedic tradition of healing, a major Kerala heritage, to the world.
- The show also aims to jack up export of ayurvedic products, especially to Europe.
- This is the first time Modi is visiting Kozhikode after taking over as Prime Minister.
Two new tax committees set up by modi to bring coherence in policies.
- Govt has set up two new committees — Tax Policy Research Unit and Tax Policy Council in order to bring coherence and streamline the direct and indirect tax policy and administration.
- Led by the Finance Minister, the Tax Policy Council would suggest broad policy measures for taxation based on inputs from the Tax Policy Research Unit (TPRU).
U-19 Cricket : Rishabh pant salms fastest fifty for huge win over nepal.
- India Under-19 opener Rishabh Pant had the fastest recorded U-19 international century.
- Pant did break the record for the fastest recorded U-19 fifty though, getting there in 18 balls, one faster than the previous mark.
Daily GK Update – Current Affairs – 3rd February 2016
INVEST Karnataka 2016.
- Karnataka CM Siddarmaiah urged the global investor community at “Invest Karnataka 2016” to consider Karnataka as their partner for growth.
- Siddaramaiah pointed out that Bengaluru is the only Indian city to be ranked amongst the 20 Startup Eco- systems in the World.
Former Deputy Governor S.S Tarapore passes away
- S. Tarapore, former deputy governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and a noted economist, passed away in Mumbai on Tuesday.
- Tarapore had been in hospital in Mumbai for the last few days, and breathed his last on Tuesday morning. He was 80.
Former LS Speaker Balram Jakhar passes away.
- He was 92. He served as Speaker of Lok Sabha from 1980 to 1989 during which he contributed to the establishment of Parliament Museum.
- He also served as Agriculture Minister in the Cabinet of former Prime Minister Narasimha Rao.
- Jakhar also served as Governor of Madhya Pradesh from 30 June, 2004 to 30 May, 2009
Jai Kumar Garg : MD and CEO of Corporation Bank.
- Union Government appointed Jai Kumar Garg as Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Corporation Bank for a period of three years.
- He took charge of the public sector bank on 1 February 2016, succeeding S R Bansal.
- S R Bansal superannuated from services as CMD on 31 January 2016.
Vice President Hamid Ansari on three day visit to Thailand.
- He was received at the airport by Thailand’s Deputy Prime Minister Prajin Juntong.
- He will have a one-to-one meeting with Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, who will also host a banquet in Ansari’s honour.
- This is the first visit by an Indian Vice President to Thailand after a gap of 50 years.
Titli became first indian film to win Best First Foriegn Film Award by FSCC.
- FSCC stands for French Syndicate of Cinema Critics 2016.
- Indian film-maker Kanu Behl directorial Titli on 1 February 2016 bagged the Best First Foreign Film Award.
- The award is conferred by the French Syndicate of Cinema Critics 2016 (FSCC).
Major General Jai Shanker Menon appointed as UNDOF head.
- He has been appointed as head of a key United Nations force stationed in Golan to maintain the ceasefire between Israeli and Syrian forces.
- He succeeds Nepal’s Lt Gen Purna Chandra Thapa, who will complete his assignment on February 7.
TCS has been rated world’s most powerful brand in IT services.
- Brand Finance’s 2016 annual report evaluated thousands of the world’s top brands to determine which are the most powerful and the most valuable.
Haryana, Ontario signed pact for cooperation
- Haryana and the Province of Ontario in Canada signed an MoU aimed at enhancing commercial and cultural ties.
- The two sides decided to designate nodal agencies for timely and effective communication on matters of common interest.
ZTE Soft signed pact with Andhra Pradesh
- Chinese technology company ZTE has inked a pact with the Andhra Pradesh government to work on smart city projects in the state.
- Under the letter of intent inked by ZTE, it proposes to work with AP on not only smart cities, E-Pragathi project, Incubation Centre, smart technology projects among others which the State has initiated.
Samariya given additional charge as Central provident fund commissioner(CPFC).
- He has been given additional charge for three months or till the appointment of a regular incumbent.
- Samariya is currently Additional Secretary in the Labour Ministry.
- The additional charge of Secretary, Department of Agriculture, has been given to Ashok Kumar Angurana, a 1980 J&K cadre officer.
61st National School Athletics Championship : Kerala emerged as winner.
- Kerala emerged as the overall winner for the 19th consecutive time.
- The national School Athletics championship was held at Olympian Rahman Stadium in Kozhikode, Kerala.