1 August 2015 Important current affairs / GK / GA : First National Handloom day to be launched by PM Narendra Modi on 7th August 2015.
- Union Government declared 7th August as National Handloom Day on 31st July 2015 and to be observed every year beginning from year 2015 throughout the country.
- On this occasion, Sant Kabir Awards and National Awards for the years 2012, 2013 and 2014 will be awarded and a newIndia Handloom brand for better market positioning of quality handloom products would be launched.
- The day aims to generate awareness about the importance of handloom industry as a part of our rich heritage and culture, promote handloom products and lead to increase in income of weavers as well as enhance their confidence and pride.
- According to Handloom Census 2009-10 : Over 43 lakh persons are engaged in handloom weaving and allied activities in India.
India’s first Integrated Underwater Harbour Defence and Surveillance System (IUHDSS) was commissioned in Kochi, Kerala.
- First of its kind system in the country is part of initiatives to strengthen and beef up coastal security in the western coastline.
- IUHDSS is designed by Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) and consists of advance sensors, coastal surveillance radars and sound navigation and ranging systems (SONAR).
- Capable of detecting, tracking, identifying and generating warning for all types of underwater and surface threats to harbour security.
- The integrated system can detect presence of divers and under water threats with the help of this automatic system.
Tamil Nadu State Governement on 31 July 2015 instituted a youth award in the name of former President Dr APJ Abdul Kalam.
- The awards will be presented from 2015 onwards on every Independence Day (15 August) to a person from the state who works with exceptional merit in science, humanities and students welfare.
- Annual Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Award consisting 8 gram gold, 5 laks rupees in cash and a citation will be given to awardees.
- She also announced that Dr Kalam’s birthday on October 15th would be celebrated as the Youth Revival Day.
- Former Indian President APJ Abdul Kalam widely called People’s President died on 27 July 2015. He was the 11th President of India and was awarded with India’s highest civilian honour Bharat Ratna in 1997.
Prabhroop Sekhon clinched two Golds for India in Special Olympucs Word Summer Games held at Los angeles, US.
- He won the medals in 300 metre and 500 metre Roller Skating event.
- Sekhon hails from Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
- Earlier he was coached and selected for various camps at State and National level.
- He is an Autistic student and is son of a serving Indian Air Force Officer, Group Captain BS Sekhon.
- Special Olympics World Summer Games are an international sporting competition organized by Special Olympics for athletes with intellectual disabilities.
- Special Olympics founded in 1968 by Eunice Kennedy Shriver to celebrate the talents, perseverance and achievements of those with intellectual disabilities.
Major Tour Operator Thomas Cook India Ltd acquire Sri Lankan firm Luxe Asia Pvt. Ltd.
- The acquisition will help Thomas Cook (India) Ltd to increase its significant presence in Sri Lanka along with destination management capabilities.
- Luxe Asia is primarily focussed on inbound tourism from key global market.
- It services both traveller segments and tour operator across its 10 destinations in the Indian Ocean region (IOR) and Asia.
APJ Abdul kalam ‘s books flying off the shelves ; autobiography, wings of fire emerging as best seller online.
- All the books authored by Kalam are in demand, with eight of them on the top 20 bestsellers list on online retailer Amazon.
- He was also known as ‘people’s president’ and passed away on July 27 while addressing management students in Shillong, there has been an outpouring of grief nationwide.
- The shop which has only India 2020 in Stock now, is planning to add at least 50-100 copies of his other books — Ignited Minds, Target 3 Billion and Turning Points — to cater to bulk orders, as it expects more demand from schools in the coming days.
Indian cricket team off spinner bowler Ravichandran Ashwin became 48th cricketer to be conferred prestigious Arjuna Award.
- He was presented with award by Union Sports Minister Sarbananda Sonowal at a special function organised in New Delhi.
- The award was bestowed upon R Ashwin in 2014, but he was not present during the Award Ceremony held at Rashtrapati Bhawan in August 2014.
- During that time he was a part of the India One Day International (ODI) team, which was touring England.
- R Ashwin hails from southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu. Till date in his international cricket career he has taken 139 wickets in 99 ODIs, 124 wickets in 25 Tests and 26 wickets in 25 T20 internationals.
- He is the fastest Indian bowler to reach the 100 and 50 wicket mark in International Test cricket and 5th fastest bowler in Test history to bag 100 wickets.
- Arjuna Awards was instituted in 1961 and are given by Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports to sportsperson in recognition of their outstanding achievement in National sports.