World Blood Donor Day observed across the world on 14 June with an objective to raise the public awareness about the need for safe blood donation.
Theme : Theme of this year’s campaign is “Thank you for saving my life”. This year’s campaign encourages donors all over the world to donate blood voluntarily and regularly with the slogan Give freely, give often. Blood donation matters.
US emerged as world’s largest oil producer in 2014 surpassing Saudi Arabia according to a report released by British Petroleum (BP) Energy Company. US had produced 11.6 million barrels of oil per day (bpd) i.e. 15.9% more oil in 2014. While, Saudi Arabia was placed second position as it had produced 11.5 million bpd in 2014. Russia was placed at third position with 10.8 million bpd oil production. US also surpassed Russia as the world’s largest producer of natural gas.
Sheila Kaul, former governor of Himachal Pradesh and ex-union Minister and congress leader died after a brief illness on 14 June 2015. She was 100 years old.
V K Singh, Minister of State (MoS) for External Affairs inaugurated first India-China Yoga College at Yunnan Minzu University in Kunming, China.
- The College was established in lines with the MoU for establishing the Yoga College signed during the Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to China in May 2015.
- This is first Indian government institution related Indian spiritual art form i.e. Yoga in China inaugurated ahead of the first UN Yoga Day to be observed on June 21.
Bibek Debroy Committee gave its recommendations for restructuring of Railways Board and its departments so that policy making it separated from day to day operations.
About Biberk Debroy Committee :
The Committee was constituted in September 2014 to restructure the Railways and suggest ways for resource mobilisation. It was seven-member panel headed by eminent economist and NITI Aayog member Bibek Debroy. The other 6 members are former cabinet secretary K M Chandrasekhar, Gusharan Das, Ravi Narain, Partha Mukhopadhyay, Rajendra Kashyap, Ajay Tyagi and Ajay Narayan Jha.
Recommendations of Bibek Debroy Committee :
- Establishment of an independent regulator Railway Regulatory Authority of India (RRAI) with a separate budget and to be independent of the Ministry.
- Railway Budget should be phased out with gross budgetary support to Indian Railways.
- RRAI will decide on tariffs to revamp the cash-strapped railways.
- No privatisation of Indian Railway but allowed participation of private sector in the railway projects.
- State governments should be asked to entirely fund the Government Railway Police (GRP).
- The recommended changes should be implemented only by Union Railways ministry in the first five years including the resolution of the social cost issue.
Ex-servicemen hold a nationwide protest over delay in implementation of One Rank One Pension (OROP). They took out a massive rally in national capital and across the country to express their displeasure.
India Vs Bangladesh test Match : India draws One Off Test against Bangladesh after rain intervention.
- Ashwin finished with career best overseas figures of 5 for 87.
- Harbhajan singh reached a landmark as he surpassed Pakistan legend Wasim Akram’s tally of Test wickets to climb to ninth in the all-time highest wicket-takers’ list.
List of Top 10 wicket-takers in Test matches. (Player, Matches, Wickets)
- Muttiah Muralitharan: 133, 800
2. Shane Warne: 145, 708
3. Anil Kumble: 132, 619
4. Glenn McGrath: 124, 563
5. Courtney Walsh: 132, 519
6. Kapil Dev 131, 434
7. Sir Richard Hadlee 86, 431
8. Shaun Pollock: 108, 421
9.Harbhajan Singh: 102, 416
10. Wasim Akram: 104, 414