17 July 2015 important current affairs / Gk / GA : Eric Lange appointed the vice president of product management for its customer experience division.
- He will take charge in August 2015 at the company’s headquarters in Bengaluru.
- Lange is a Silicon Valley veteran and earlier worked with Yahoo and search engine major Google.
- He was the third high-profile Silicon Valley technology executive to join Flipkart in 2015.
Bollywood actress Parineeti Chopra named as Brand Ambassador by Haryana Govt for its ‘Beti Bachao Beti Padhao’ compaign.
- The campaign is aimed at ensuring survival, protection and empowerment of the girl child.
- It was launched by PM Narendra Modi from Haryana’s Panipat in January this year.
- Haryana has one of the worst sex ratios in the country.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between India and Canada in the field of Civil Aviation in Union Cabinet meet, chaired by the PM Narendra Modi.
- MoU will help in deepening the bilateral cooperation and enhancing the experience and technical knowledge in the field of Civil Aviation between India and Canada.
Attempt : Free Online IBPS RRB Speed Test
Indian American woman Sunita Viswanath, an Indian American woman was honored as Champions of Change by the White House of United States (US).
- She was among 12 other faith leaders who were awarded for their efforts in protecting environment and communities from the effects of climate change.
- She was selected for her work to encourage Hindus to take care of the environment.
About Sunita Viswanath :
- Sunita is co-founder and active board member of the 14-year-old front-line women’s human rights organisation, Women for Afghan Women.
- Born in Chennai, she has been working with women’s and human rights organisations for almost three decades.
- Sunita is also co-founder and board member of Sadhana: Coalition of Progressive Hindus, living and building a Hinduism that prioritises social justice, and upholding the Hindu principles of ekatva (oneness), ahimsa (non-violence) and sadhana (faith in action).
India signed a financing agreement with World Bank (WB) to raise US 250 million dollars financial assistance for Andhra Pradesh Disaster Recovery Project (APDRP).
- To restore, enhance resilience and improve public services, livelihoods and environmental facilities in targeted communities of Andhra Pradesh.
- It also seeks to increase the capacity of the state to promptly and effectively respond to crisis or emergency.
- It includes approximately 3 million populations in 4 heavily impacted districts of state viz. Srikakulam, Visakhapatnam, Vizianagaram and East Godavari.
Union Cabinet chaired by the PM Narendra Modi gave its approval to set up Panagariya Committee.
- Objective : To classify the Caste names returned in the Socio Economic and Caste Census (SECC), 2011.
- The expert group will be chaired Arvind Panagariya, Vice-Chairperson of NITI Aayog and will be serviced by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment and Ministry of Tribal Welfare.
Union Cabinet meeting chaired by PM Narendra Modi gave its approval for the redevelopment of 400 major railway stations.
- This approval will enable the Union Ministry of Railways to accelerate the redevelopment of ‘A-1’ and ‘A’ category railway stations across the country.
- These stations generally are located in major cities, metros, pilgrimage centres and important tourist destinations.
- These major railway stations will be redeveloped under a new a unique method which is form of public procurement of ideas called the Swiss Challenge.
- It will also encourage innovative ideas from interested parties without any additional extra cost from the Railways.
ICC ODI Rankings : India retained 2nd rank after clean sweep 3-0 over Zimbabwe.
- India has maintained its second place ranking and still remains 14 points adrift of Australia who leads the field on 129 points.
- Australia retained the top spot in ICC ODI Rankings.
Former Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar appointed as the Chief Advisor of Security and anti corruption unit (ACSU) of BCCI for next year’s T20 World Cup to be hosted by India.
- Kumar was already roped in by the BCCI for a one-year period in the anti-corruption unit during the IPL.
- BCCI announced the names of the organising committee for the mega event with Dr M V Sridhar as the General Manager for Cricket Operations.