21 June 2015 current affairs / GK / GA: 21st June 2015 : International yoga Day celebrated across the world.
- India set two Guinness world records (GWR) in Rajpath yoga event held on the eve of first International Yoga Day led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- First record is the largest number of participants- 35,985 people had participated in largest yoga demonstration at a single venue i.e. Rajpath yoga event.
- Second is the most number of nationalities at a single event– People of 84 nationalities performed yoga at one place.
- The awards were received by Union AYUSH Minister Shripad Yesso Naik from representatives of Guinness World Records.
- This mass yoga event has broken previous world record on mass yoga exercise which was set by 29,973 students from 362 schools on November 19, 2005 led by Vivekananda Kendra at Jiwaji University Gwalior.
21st June 2015 : International Fathers Day also celebrated across the world. Google marks up the occasion with an animated Doodle on homepage.
- International Fathers Day is celebrated every year on 3rd Sunday of June.
- In India Father’s day washed away by International Yoga Day as fathers day coincided with first ever IYD on June 21.
- First lady Michelle Obama posted the picture of younger Barack Obama for wishing the president a Happy Fathers Day.
Sanjay Subrahmanyam, one of the foremost south Indian classical vocalists has been selected for the ‘Sangita Kalanidhi’ award 2015.
- It will be bestowed upon him when he will preside over the 89th annual conference of the Academy which will be held between December 15, 2015 and January 1, 2016.
- He also becomes seventh artistes to be conferred with the award before completing 50 years of age. Others are Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar, Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer, Musiri Subramania Iyer, G.N. Balasubramaniam, Semmangudi R. Srinivasa Iyer, M.L. Vasanthakumari and M. Balamuralikrishna.
- Sangita Kalanidhi is a prestigious award bestowed annually upon an expert of Carnatic Music by the Madras Music Academy.
Debendranath Sarangi elected as the President of Squash Rackets Federation of India (SRFI).
- The election took place at the Federations Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM) that was called specifically to elect a set of new office bearers for the period 2015 to 2019.
About Squash Rackets Federation of India (SRFI) : SRFI oversees the promotion and development of squash in India. It has more than 20 State Associations and affiliated units. It is headquartered in Chennai.
Also Read : How to solve time and work problem
Government of India has released stamps and coins of the denomination of Rs.10 and Rs.100 on International Yoga Day (IYD) on June 21.
- The Department of Posts is bringing out stamp and the finance ministry coins.
- On IYD, the Discovery Channel has also telecasted a short film ‘The Story of Yoga’ to take viewers through a journey of rediscovering the Indian ancient practice.
Gerry Weber Open : Roger Federer wins the Gerry weber open title for record eight time.
- He won the title by defeating Andreas Seppi of Italy, 7-6 (1), 6-4, on Sunday in Halle, Germany, to claim his record-setting eighth Gerry Weber Open title.
- It was Federer’s fourth title of the season, after wins at Brisbane, Dubai and Istanbul, and a timely boost for Wimbledon eight days before the tournament begins.
Former Indian women hockey team captain Shashi Bala passed away on 21 June 2015.
- Shashi was killed in a car accident along with her son in Kahma village of Punjab.
- She was a former hockey player and had made international debut in 1987.
- She had captained Indian hockey team for women in Women Hockey World Cup Qualifier held in Harare, Zimbabwe in 1997.
- She was also team member of the Indian hockey team for women in 1998 World Cup played at Netherlands.
American professional golfer Jordan Spieth won the US Open at Chambers Bay on 21 June 2015.
- The win was his second straight major title of 2015 after he won the Masters Tournament at Augusta National, US in April 2015.
- With this win, Spieth became the first man since Tiger Woods in 2002 to win the Masters and the US Open in the same year.
Britain’s Andy Murray win the men’s singles of the Aegon Championships at the Queen’s Club in West Kensington, England.
- He defeated South African Kevin Anderson 6-3, 6-4 in final clash.
- This was his fourth Queen’s title and the previous were won in alternate years, that is, 2009, 2011 and 2013.
Nongfu Spring Snooker’s World Cup 2015 : China won the 2015 Nongfu Spring Snooker’s World Cup on 21 June 2015 by defeating Scotland 4-1 in the final match held at Wuxi near Shanghai in China.
- The winners of the snooker championship collected 120000 pound sterling prize money.
- In the final,China’s B team pairing of 17-year-old Zhou Yuelong and 15-year-old Yan Bingtao defeated Scotland’s pairing of John Higgins and Stephen Maguire.