22 August 2015 Current affairs Digest : Free Laptop Scheme launched by in Puducherry by CM N Rangasamy on 21 August 2015.
- Under this scheme free laptops will be provided to all students who have passed Plus Two from Government Higher Secondary Schools in the last two academic years that is 2013-14 and 2014-15.
- The state will incur an expenses of 20 crore rupees for giving free laptops to 11 thousand odd students.
- While launching the scheme, Rangasamy gave away laptops to 180 students who topped in Plus Two Examinations in their respective schools.
- The scheme was launched on the occasion of Student’s Day in Puducherry. During the launching ceremony, Rangasamy also distributed 5000 rupees each to 10 students who excelled in the National Talent Search Examination.
Govt issues fresh norms for selection of CEs and MDs of Smaller PSU Banks after the After the irk raised due to appointment of two private sector bankers to head Bank of Baroda and Canara Bank.
- The top post in the PSBs would be filled from the existing pool of executive directors (EDs) or deputy managing directors (DMDs) in state-owned banks with a remaining service period of 2 years.
- The private sector executives would not be the part of the selection process of top management in the public sector banking space.
- The section will be done by the interaction of the candidates with three panels of the sub-committee of the Appointments Board, where the candidates will be rated out of 100 marks.
- 50 marks to be awarded for Annual Performance Appraisal Reports (APARs) of five years and 50 marks assigned on the basis of performance during interaction with the sub-committee.
Attempt : Computer GK speed test in Hindi
Union government to disinvest 10 per cent stake in state owned Indian Oil Corporation (IOC).
- This disinvestment drive on the stock market through an offer for sale (OFS) will fetch Union Government about 9,500 crore rupees to the exchequer. The 10 per cent stake in IOC comprises 24.27 crore shares.
- Presently, Union government holds around 68.57 per cent shares in IOC which is the biggest oil refining and marketing company in the country.
- Stake sale of IOC will mark the fourth round of disinvestment drive of Union Government in year 2015.
Government establishes a policy framework to promote e-marketing of handloom products through approved e-commerce entities, aiming to popularize the “India Handloom” brand and boost sales of handloom products.
- Under the policy framework, application of any e-commerce entity interested in online marketing of handloom products will be processed by a within three weeks time by a panel.
- Any e-commerce entity willing to work for promotion of online marketing of handloom products in collaboration with the Office of DC (Handlooms) may apply for the same. T
- he application will be scrutinized by a specially constituted Committee.
- An e-commerce entity approved by the Office would be required to make priority display of handloom products on its home page, leading to an exclusive section for certified/branded handloom products carrying either ‘India Handloom’ brand or Handloom mark.
App based taxi service Uber tie up with Bharti Airtel to provide free wifi hotspots in each of its cabs.
- Now Uber riders can pay using Airtel’s mobile wallet service Airtel Money.
- With this partnership, Uber will set up WiFi hotspots in each of its cabs. Uber will pay Airtel for the bandwidth consumed.
- As part of this partnership, Uber riders across India can now pay for their trips using Airtel’s mobile wallet service Airtel Money.
- Mumbai will be the first city in India to enjoy free high-speed internet from Uber, powered by Airtel 4G. The service will soon be rolled out for Uber riders pan-India.
Saina Nehwal signed Rs 25 crore deal with management company IOS Sports & Entertainment after regaining No. 1 Rank – surging 2180 points ahead of Carolina Marin.
Saina’s deal is worth Rs 25 crore over two years.
IOS also manages top sports persons like Suresh Raina, MC Mary Kom, Sushil Kumar and Vijender Singh.