Daily GK Update : 18th November, 2015: Foundation Stone of First Mega Food Park of Telangana laid on 16 Nov.
- Union Minister of Food Processing Industries Harsimrat Kaur Badal on 16 November 2015 laid the foundation stone of the first Mega Food Park in Telangana.
- The park is promoted by Smart Agro Food Park Pvt. Ltd. at Village Lakkampally and Chimrajpally, Nandipet Mandal, District Nizamabad, Telangana.
- Besides, two more Mega Food Parks have been sanctioned to be set up in Khammam and Mahboobnagar districts in Telangana.
United Nation conferred Kiren Rijiju with Disaster Risk Reduction Asia Champion honour.
- Rijiju became the first Indian to be conferred with this honour.
- Union Minister of State for Home Affairs, Kiren Rijiju, was on 17 November 2015 designated as the Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Champion for the Asia Region by the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR).
Russia launched Kosmos 2510, first satellite of EKS (Tundra) system.
- Russia successfully on 17 November 2015 launched the first satellite for its newest early warning system, named EKS or Integrated Space System.
- The satellite was officially named Kosmos 2510 (Tundra 11L).
PM Modi concludes two nation tour to UK and Turkey.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 16 January 2015 returned to India after his two-nation tour of the United Kingdom and Turkey.
- During his five-day visit which took place from 12 November to 16 November 2015, Modi participated in G-20 summit at Antalya in Turkey and met with Queen Elizabeth II, British Prime Minister David Cameron, Turkey President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and others.
Tianhe-2 emerged as world’s powerful Supercomputer for the sixth consecutive time
- It was unveiled in 46th edition of Top500 list of supercomputers.
- The Chinese Supercomputer is capable of performing calculations with processing speed of 33.86 petaflops per second (Pflop/s).
- It has held the title since June 2013.
- Supercomputer Titan of the US Department of Energy has been placed at second position. It has a performance of 17.59 Pflop/s.
- Supercomputer Sequoia of Tech giant IBM was placed at third position with processing speed of 17.17 Pflop/s.
Intel’s “EK KADAM UNNATI KI AUR” begins in Telangana village.
- Chip-maker Intel has rolled out its ‘Ek Kadam Unnati Ki Aur’ programme towards rural digitisation in 10 States from Nadimpalle villlage in Telangana.
- Announcing the setting up of the first Unnati Kendra at the village in Mahabubnagar District, Intel Vice President-Sales and Marketing Group and Managing Director-South Asia Debjani Ghosh said the company will work with Central and the State governments to identify “best framework” for digitisation.
First International Qawwali Festival 2016 will be hosted by Delhi.
- Delhi will host the first International Qawwali Festival 2015 titled Taali Ho that is scheduled to be held from 12 February 2016 to 14 February 2016.
- This was announced during the performance by Qawwali singers from India and Pakistan at India Islamic Centre providing a glimpse of the festival.
- The festival aims to reinforce a notion that music is not restricted to any borders.
- The event is also set to showcase the evolution that Qawwali has undergone with artistes performing a fusion of old genre of music with a modern touch.
Competition Commission of India (CCI) imposes penalties upon 3 Airlines for concerted action in fixing fuel surcharge.
- These 3 Airlines are Jet Airways (India) Ltd, InterGlobe Aviation Limited and Spice Jet Limited.
Former RAW chief Sankaran Nair passes away.
- Former Chief of the Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) K. Sankaran Nair passed away on 17 November 2015 in Bengaluru. He was 94.
- Nair, who hailed from Ottapalam village in Kerala, was a part of the Intelligence Bureau.
- Later, he was inducted into RAW in 1968, as the deputy to Rameshwarnath Kao.
SP Agarwal, Indian Red Cross Society Secretary General passes away.
- He is survived by his wife Sarita Agarwal, son Tushar Agarwal and daughter Ashima Sharma.
- Since 2005, Agarwal was serving the Indian Red Cross Society as its Secretary General.
- He was also the Chair of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Advisory Body on Sustainable Development and Health.
Czech Republic defeated Russia to retain Fed Cup.
- The victory marked a fourth Fed Cup success for the Czech Republic in five years.
- The country has won the Fed Cup nine times overall, including Czechoslovakia’s five before its split in 1993.