150th birth anniversary of Lala Lajpat Rai celebrated on 28 January.
- He is also known as Punjab Kesri and was the great freedom fighter.
- To celebrate this occasion a state level function has been organised in Punjab and special event will be held at village Dhudi Ke, the birth place of Lala Lajpat Rai in Moga district.
National Job Portal launched by Union Govt for Persons with Disabilities.
- Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment Thaawarchand Gehlot on 27 January 2016 launched the National level Job portal www.disabilityjobs.gov.in for Persons with Disabilities (PwDs).
- The Ministry aims to carry out skill training programme for 5 lakh Persons with Disabilities in next 3 years.
CERT-In signed Cyber Security agreements with 3 countries
- Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) has signed cybersecurity agreement with its counterparts in Malaysia, Singapore and Japan.
International Day of Commemoration in memory of the victims of the Holocaust was observed.
- Theme : The Holocaust and Human Dignity.
- The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) celebrate the day every year.
- The day marks the anniversary of the liberation of the Nazi German Concentration and Extermination Camp of Auschwitz-Birkenau by the Soviet troops in 1945.
India, Armenia Signed protocol amending the Double Taxation Avoidance Convention.
- India and Armenia has signed a Protocol to amend the existing Double Taxation Avoidance Convention (DTAC) to curb instances of tax evasion.
- The Protocol amends the Article on Exchange of Information for tax in the bilateral DTAC signed between India and Armenia and has been in existence since September 2004.
Rajasthan Govt inked MoU to join UDAY Scheme.
- Rajasthan Government along with its power distribution companies (DISCOMS) has signed a MoU to join UDAY (Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojana) Scheme.
- State DISCOMS part of this MoU are Jaipur Vidyut Vitran Nigam Limited (JVNL), Jodhpur Vidyut Vitran Nigam Limited (JVVNL) and Ajmer Vidyut Vitran Nigam Limited (AVNL).
India overtakes Thailand as largest rice exporter of World.
- India has overtaken Thailand as the world’s largest rice exporter in the year 2015 by shipping (exporting) 10.23 million tonnes of rice.
- It was announced by the Bangkok based Thai Rice Exporters Association Chairman Charoen Laodhammatas.
Akash Missile Successfully test fired at Chandipur by India.
- India on 28 January 2016 test fired its indigenously-built surface-to-air Akash missile from complex-3 of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipuri in Odisha.
- It was as part of a user trial mission.
KBACE Technologies acquired by Congnizant.
- US based software services exporter Cognizant Technology Solutions (CTS) has acquired cloud-based computing firm KBACE Technologies.
- This acquisition will help Cognizant to strength and expands its digital capabilities from its critical business applications to cloud-based IT infrastructures.
- KBACE Technologies’ 400 consultants and implementation experts will become part of Cognizant.
IPS Officer Aparna Kumar : India ‘s first civil servant to scale mt. Vinson Massif
- Mount Vinson Massif is highest peak in Atarctica.
- She hoisted the Tricolour and the flag of the Uttar Pradesh Police Service on Mount Vinson Massif.
Chennupati Jagadish and Jay Chandra honored with Order of Australia
- Order of Australia is highest civilian honour of Australia.
- The award was honored on the occasion of the Australia Day.
- They were awarded for their contribution in the fields of physics, engineering and medicine.
Indian activist Henri Tiphagne selected for Amnesty International Human Rights Award 2016.
- The award is a recognition of Tiphagne’s exceptional commitment to human rights.
- He will be conferred with the award at an official ceremony on 25 April 2016 at the Maxim Gorki Theatre in Berlin, Germany.
Austrailian batsman David Warner wins Allan Border Medal 2016
- He defeated captain Steve Smith for the prestigious Allan Border Medal for 2016.
- Warner polled 240 votes from players, umpires and media representatives to beat 2015 winner and skipper Steve Smith on 219.