Wattan Ko Jano Inititative ; A programme aiming to expose youth from J&K to rest of India.
- The initiative came in news after more than 240 youth in the age-group of 15 to 24 from J&K met with Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi.
- Watan Ko Jano initiative was conceived by the J&K State Rehabilitation Council in 2011.
Mysuru to get Cauvery river gallery.
- Karnataka’s Tourism and the National Academy of Sciences of India (NASI) have signed a memorandum of understanding to set up a Cauvery river gallery in Mysuru.
- The gallery, to be built at a cost of Rs. 3.5 crore, is expected to showcase the life, culture and biodiversity along the river from its birth in Kodagu till it reaches the Bay of Bengal.
Uber launched “uberExchange” startup mentorship programme.
- Taxi-hailing app Uber today announced a new start-up mentorship programme in the country in partnership with Invest India called ‘uberEXCHANGE’.
- The programme will address issues that entrepreneurs face, like fund-raising, product design, engineering and how to scale up a business.
- At the end of the programme, the top 10 start-ups will travel to San Francisco, where they will be introduced to global investors, fellow entrepreneurs and the team at Uber.
Jammu Kashmir CM Mufti Sayeed passes away ; his daughter Mehbooba to succeed him as CM
- India’s first Muslim Home Minister died at AIIMS after his platelets dropped dangerously.
- Sayeed took charge of the State on March 1 last year heading a PDP—BJP alliance, breathed his last this morning after remaining on ventilator for the past few days.
33 percent reservation for women in constable level position in Paramilitary forces.
- Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh has approved 33% reservation for women in Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) at constable-level positions.
- There are 9 lakh troops in all these forces combined, of which women constitute a mere 20,000.
IAMAI appointed Freecharge founder Kunal Shah as Chairman.
- IAMAI stands for “Industry Body Internet and Mobile Association of India”.
- IAMAI counts companies such as Facebook, Microsoft and Google as members, named Kunal Shah, co-founder FreeCharge as its new chairman.
- IAMAI also named Vishwas Patel, chief executive officer, CCAvenue as the new treasurer.
AB Khare appointed as CMD of Madras Fertilizers.
- The government headhunter Public Enterprise Selection Board (PESB) had recommended the name of Khare for the post of CMD at Madras Fertilizers Ltd (MFL).
- Khare will succeed I Vijay Kumar.
- His name was finalised after interviewing 7 shortlisted candidates.
Achyuta Samanta elected to post of General President of 105th Indian Science Congress.
- Dr Achyuta Samanta was on 6 January 2016 elected as the General President of the 105th Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA) that is scheduled for 2017-18.
- Samanta is also currently serving as member of Executive Council of Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA).
- With this, Samanta becomes the second person from Odisha to be elected as President of the ISC in its 102 years history.
Cabinet Okays “Sampoorna Arogya Keralam” Medical Care project
- State Cabinet has decided to implement the ‘Sampoorna Arogya Keralam’ project announced in the 2015-16 State budget.
- The project aims to bring all major government health services under one umbrella.
- With this, people will not be required to visit multiple offices or agencies for medical care.
India’s Ambassador to Israel : Pavan Kapoor
- Senior diplomat Pavan Kapoor has been appointed India’s ambassador to strategically important Israel.
- He will succeed Jaideep Sarkar.
- Mr Kapoor, a 1990 batch Indian Foreign Service Officer, is currently India’s High Commissioner in Mozambique capital Maputo.
Gujarati Writer Labhshankar Thakar passes away.
- He was 80. He was a modernist author of Gujarati literature with influence of existentialism challenging traditional literature styles.
- He had also been awarded several times for his works including Sahitya Akadami Award (1991) for his poetry, Sahitya Gaurav Puraskar (2002) of Gujarati Sahitya Parishad, Kumar Chandrak (1962), Narmad Chandrak and Ranjitram Suvarna Chandrak (1981).
Sam Pitroda appointed as Technical Advisor of Odisha Government.
- Pitroda was appointed as the technology adviser for development of telecom, electronics, IT, ITES sectors of the state.
- Pitroda will have a key role in Vision 2036 for Odisha@100, as the state government is making a vision document for 2036 to celebrate the 100 years of state’s formation.
- He is the founding Chairman of India’s Telecom Commission. He has also served as an advisor to the United Nations.