Mother Teresa to become a saint on 04 September : Pope Francis
- She spent her 45 years of life serving the poor and sick on streets of Kolkata and died 19 years before.
- Pope Francis today approved Mother Teresa’s elevation to sainthood and set September 4 as the date for her canonization.
7th Governing Board meeting of Indo- German Science and technology Centre held in New Delhi
- The meeting was chaired by the Union Science & Technology and Earth Sciences Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan.
- During the meeting, Dr. Vardhan highlighted the achievements and progress of IGSTC in accelerating the bilateral Science & Technology collaboration.
March 15 : World Consumer Rights Day
- The day was celebrated across the world on 15th March 2016.
- Theme for the World Consumer Rights Day 2016 – Antibiotics off the menu.
- The Day is an occasion of solidarity among consumers and to promote the basic rights of all consumers, for demanding that those rights are respected and protected, and for protesting the market abuses and social injustices which undermine them.
MoU signed between ministry of tourism and ecotourism society of India for responsible and sustainable tourism.
- The Ministry of Tourism, Government of India has signed a MOU with the Ecotourism Society of India (ESOI) to take its commitments to Responsible and Sustainable tourism to the next level.
Union Govt and JK Govt signed MoU on UDAY Scheme
- Aim : To restructure high interest rate of the total discom debt thereby improving financial condition of State Discom
- Union Government and J&K Government signed a MoU under the Scheme Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana (UDAY) on 15 March 2016 for operational and financial turnaround of the State’s Power Distribution Department.
- With this, J&K became the ninth state to sign MoU with the combined DISCOM debt around 1.94 lakh crore rupees.
Anita Brookner, winner of Booker Prize died at age of 87.
- She won the Booker in 1984 for her novel Hotel du Lac, one of 24 novels she wrote after a distinguished career as an art historian.
- She was highly regarded as a stylist and her novels explore themes of emotional loss and difficulties associated with fitting into society, and typically depict intellectual, middle-class women.
ICICI Bank launched NFC based mobile payment solution Touch & pay
- ICICI Bank on 15 March 2016 announced a new mobile payment solution Touch & Pay.
- This solution is based on Near Field Communication (NFC) technology and will enable the bank’s customers to make secure contactless payments at retail stores using smartphones.
- The feature will be incorporated into the existing Pockets application of the bank.