Daily Gk Update : 31 January 2016 & 1st Feb Current Affairs
Surajkund International Crafts Mela begins at Faridabad.
- It is 30th edition of Surajkund International Craft Mela.
- The event will continue till 15 February 2016.
- It was inaugurated by Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar.
- Telangana was selected as the Theme State and will showcase its unique culture and rich heritage.
- Chhattisgarh was chosen as the Theme State for the 29th Surajkund International Crafts Mela-2015.
India and NASA to study Ladakh region under Spaceward Bound programme.
- The main aim is to explore the environment of Ladakh under NASA’s Spaceward Bound programme.
- Under the partnership, a team of scientists from NASA, the Mars society Australia and the Birbal Sahni Institute of Palaeobotany, Lucknow will undertake an expedition to Ladakh in August 2016.
Kamlesh Kumar Pandey is new Chief Commissioner for PWD.
- He is appointed for tenure of three years.
- Prior to his appointment he was associated with Saksham, an NGO working in the field of disability.
- The CCPD is appointed by the Union Government from persons having special knowledge or practical experience in matters relating to rehabilitation of Persons with Disabilities.
Muktesh Kumar Pardeshi is India’s Envoy to Mexico.
- Muktesh Pardeshi is a Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer of 1991 batch.
- He is currently posted as Joint Secretary (Passport division) in the Union Ministry of External Affairs.
- He served as the Deputy Head of Mission at the Embassy of India in Jakarta from 2007 to 2010.
- During 1993-2001, he worked with Indian Missions in Mexico, Colombia and Nepal.
CBDT signed two bilateral Advane Pricing Agreements (APAs) with UK.
- CBDT stands for Central Board of Direct Taxes.
- With this signing, CBDT has concluded three bilateral APAs the first one being a bilateral APA signed with Japan in December 2014.
- With this signing, CBDT has so far signed 41 APAs out of which 38 are unilateral and 3 are bilateral.
Bihar CM Nitish Kumar to be conferred with K Veermani Award for Social Justice.
- He is chosen for the award for his contribution towards social justice as Chief Minister.
- The award is given away by Periyar International, a Chicago-based voluntary organisation.
- This award is instituted in Dr. K. Veeramani’s name to recognize his contributions in creating a mass awareness in India on social equality and respect for human dignity.
- The award is awarded every year to an individual who has or an institution that has contributed immensely to the cause of social justice.
Datta Padsalgikar appointed as Commissioner of Police of Mumbai.
- IPS Officer Datta Padsalgikar appointed as Commissioner of Police of Mumbai w.e.f 31 January 2016.
- He will replace Ahmed Javed, who was appointed as Ambassador to Saudi Arabia.
- With this, Padsalgikar became the 40th Police Commissioner of Mumbai.
- He was on deputation to the Union Government in the Intelligence Bureau (IB) for the past few years, but was repatriated in January 2016 in preparation for his new charge.
Indian IT Companies TCS, Infosys and Wipro join Obama’s ‘computer science for all’ plan.
- Three major Indian IT companies — Infosys, Tata Consultancy Services and Wipro — have joined US President Barack Obama’s ambitious ‘computer science for all’ initiative as part of a public-private collaboration, pledging thousands of dollars in grants.
- Obama announced his ‘Computer Sciences for All’ plan in his weekly address on Saturday as he emphasized on the need for teaching the subject as a “basic skill” to all children across schools in the country in a changing economy.
Kotikalapudi Venkata Krishna Rao, former Army Chief General passes away.
- He was 92. He was the 14th Chief of the Army Staff of Indian Army.
- He was commissioned into then British India Army (now Indian Army) in August 1942.
- He had also served in Burma (Myanmar), North West Frontier and Baluchistan during the World War II.
Naresh Bedi is honored with V Shantaram Life Time Achievement Award.
- He was honoured with the V Shantaram Lifetime Achievement Award at the 14th edition of the Mumbai International Festival for Documentary, Short and Animation Films (MIFF 2016).
- Bedi was honoured for his outstanding contribution to wildlife filmmaking.
Pietro Fittipaldi wins 2015-16 MRF Challenge Formula 2000.
- He clinched the 2015-16 MRF Challenge Formula 2000 at Madras Motor Racing Track in Sriperumbudur, Tamil Nadu.
- Pietro Fittipaldi da Cruz is the grandson of two time Formula 1 champion Emerson Fittipaldi.
- He began his racing career in the NASCAR Whelen All-American Series, winning the track championship at Hickory Motor Speedway in 2011.
Anti Leprosy Day observed on 30 January 2016.
- The day was observed on 30 January 2016 nationwide to focus attention on the disease which is also known as the Hansen’s disease.
- Leprosy also known as Hansen’s disease (HD), is a chronic infection caused by the bacteria Mycobacterium leprae and Mycobacterium lepromatosis.
Fukuoka to host World Aquatics Championships 2021.
- International Swimming Federation (FINA) announced Fukuoka as host of 2021 World Aquatics Championships.
- On the other hand, the Qatari capital Doha will host the 2023 event.
Book “Nathuram Godse – The Story of an Assassin” released.
- The book is authored by Anup Ashok Sardesai was released on 30 January 2016.
- The book was released at the government-owned Ravindra Bhavan in Margao, Goa by BJP leader and the bhavan’s chairman Damodar Naik.
- The book narrates the story of Nathuram Vinayakrao Godse who died an untimely death and his brother suffered a life of immense mental torture.
Vidya Pillai won the National Snooker Championship in the women’s category.
- She defeated Amee Kamani 4-2. It was her ninth national title.
Kidambi Srikanth wins Men’s singles title of Syed modi International Badminton Championships 2016.
- He defeated Huang Yuxiang of China in the final played at Babu Banarasi Das Indoor Stadium in Lucknow.
Aditya Mehta wins 83rd Senior National Snooker Championship
- He defeated Manan Chandra 6-3 in the final that was held as part of the National Billiards & Snooker Championship 2016.
Novak Djokovic wins Austrailian Open Men’s Singles title 2016.
- He defeated Andy Murray in final played at Melbourne.
- With this, Djokovic retained his title and also equalled the record of Roy Emerson’s record of six Australian Open Singles titles.