12 June 2015 : Daily Current Affairs / GK / GA: World Day Againsit Child Labour observed across the globe on 12 June 2015. This year theme was “No to child labour-YES to quality education!”. The Day is united nation observance to bring awareness against child labour.
C S Verma resigned from the post of CMD of SAIL on completion of his tenure. Steel Secretary Rakesh Singh assumed charge till a regular incumbent is appointed.
- C S Verma was appointed as CMD in June 2010 for 5 years by previous UPA government.
- He was eligible for extension till he attained superannuation age of 60 yrs in sept 2019.
- The government’s not extending his tenure to the top job makes him the first ‘Maharatna’ PSU head to be denied an extension during the current NDA regime.
Vinita Bali appointed as the Chair of Board of Directors of the Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN). Vinita will succeed Jay Naidoo, who led GAIN in the global fight against malnutrition since its creation in 2002. She is also recognized in forums nationally and internationally and has won several awards for her various contributions to business.
Prof Sanghmitra Bandyopadhayay become first woman on 10 June 2015 to be appointed as the Director of Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) by the Union Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MOSPI).
- She replaced Dr Bimal K Roy who was removed on charges of indiscipline.
- Earlier on 8 June 2015, she was appointed as director-designate of the institute and was set to assume the office on 1 August 2015 on Roy’s superannuation.
- She obtained a master’s degree in computer science from the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur (IIT KGP) and pursued Ph. D. at the ISI.
- She was honored with Shanti Swaroop Bhatnagar Award in 2010 for her contributions to engineering sciences.
Ravi Garikipati appointed as Entrepreneur in Residence of online portal Flipkart.com.
- He will work closely with Flipkart founders Sachin Bansal and Binny Bansal and head of Flipkart’s e-commerce platform Mukesh Bansal on new business projects.
Migrant Resource Center (MRC) launched by Union Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs (MOIA) along with the Tamil Nadu Government in chennai on 11 June 2015. The MRC in Chennai is the fourth such MRC in India set-up by MOIA.
- The MRC will disseminate information on safe and legal migration.
- It will disseminate information about status of Recruiting Agents and other service providers.
- It will also offer counselling support (walk in or telephone and email support).
- It will register and respond to complaints and grievances within the redressal forum of MOIA.
Veteran actor Sir Christopher Frank Carandini Lee, famous as the master of horror, passes away on 7 June 2015 at London’s Chelsea and Westminster Hospital. He was 93.
Lee was famous for his role as Count Dracula in a sequence of Hammer Horror films.
The Man behind Chandigarh’s Rock Garden Nek Chand Saini died in Chandigarh on 12 June 2015. He was 90.
- Rock Garden of Chandigarh was opened for public on 24 January 1976.
- he garden is maintained by the Nek Chand Foundation, formed in 1996.
- He was also awarded the Padma Shri in 1984.
Dick Costolo resigned as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Twitter Inc after serving the company for five years. Costolo will demit the office of CEO on 1 July 2015.Jack Dorsey , twitter co founder and square INC’ CEO to take over charge as the interim CEO of the company on 1 july 2015.
English cricketer Matt Prior retired from all forms of cricket on 11 June 2015.
- He became first English wicketkeeper to score a century on debut match against West Indies in 2007. He scored an unbeaten 126 at Lord’s.
- He made his ODI debut against Zimbabwe at Bulawayo on 5 December 2004.
- Test : 79 matches : 123 innings : 4099 runs (Highest score : 130 not out)
- ODI : 68 matches : 62 innings : 1282 runs (Highest score : 87)
- T20Is : 10 matches : 8 innings : 127 runs (highest score : 32)
N Srinivasan re-elected as the Tamil Nadu Cricket Association’s president for the 14th year in succession. Srinivisan, who is also the ICC chairman, did not face opposition during the TNCA’s 85th annual general meeting, held in Chennai. Kasi Viswanathan, Srinivasan’s key aide, was also re-elected unanimously as secretary for the ninth year in succession.