International Day for Tolerance observed across the world on 16th November.
- Aim : To educate people about the need for tolerance in society and help them understand the negative effects of intolerance.
Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare launches Affordable Medicines and Reliable Implants for Treatment (AMRIT) pharmacy outlet at AIIMS, New Delhi.
Purpose : To reduce the expenditure incurred by patients on treatment of cancer and heart disease by 50 to 60 percent.
- It is a retail pharmacy outlet that sells drugs and impants for two ailments – cancer and heart disease – at highly discounted rates.
- It would be selling 202 cancer and 186 cardio-vascular drugs and 148 types of cardiac implants at very affordable prices.
- It has been floated in a tie-up with government-owned HLL Lifecare Ltd (HLL).
- Based on the outcome of the AIIMS outlet, this initiative will be taken to other central government hospitals and Regional Cancer Centres in partnership with the HLL.
Maareech – Advanced Torpedo Defence System developed by DRDO handed over to Indian Navy.
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar handed over the Maareech – Advanced Torpedo Defence System – developed by DRDO to the Navy Chief Admiral Robin K. Dhowan in Vishakhapatnam.
- Maareech is a joint project of Naval Physical and Oceanographic Laboratory (NPOL), Kochi and NSTL, Visakhapatnam.
- The system provides a complete solution to detect and locate the incoming torpedo and to apply countermeasures to protect naval platform against torpedo attack.
- The system is capable of detecting, confusing, diverting and decoying the incoming torpedoes.
Thomas Cooks India signed pact with OYO Rooms.
- Travel services provider Thomas Cook India has entered into a partnership with online aggregator of budget hotels, OYO Rooms, offering access to over 3,200 hotels, spread over 140 cities across India.
- The company’s partnership with OYO Rooms aims at providing a wide range of standardised stay options, optimal locations (both business and leisure areas) and maximised savings, Thomas Cook India said.
- The company’s partnership with OYO Rooms aims at providing a wide range of standardised stay options, optimal locations (both business and leisure areas) and maximised savings.
Nokia, Alcatel-Lucent announced new India, MEA Heads.
- Nokia announced that Sandeep Girotra would become the head of India and Amr Karim El-Leithy would become the head of Middle East and Africa as part of the planned combination of Nokia and Alcatel-Lucent, after and subject to the successful closing of the public exchange offer for Alcatel-Lucent securities announced on 15 April.
- Sandeep Girotra joined Nokia Networks in 1996 and has held a number of different roles in India, heading the region since 2011. The proposed appointments are effective only after the successful closing of the public exchange offer and is subject to the completion of the relevant works council consultation procedures.
- Amr Karim El-Leithy is currently president for Middle East, Turkey and Africa for Alcatel-Lucent. He joined the company in 2009.
Jharkhand Government introduces Mobile Governance.
- Jharkhand CM Raghubar Das on 15 November 2015 introduced Mobile Governance in the state to realise the dreams of Digital India during the occasion of 16th Foundation Day of the state.
- The State Government launched 14 mobile applications and three web portals on the State Foundation Day to deliver the benefits of information technology to the people of the state in order to bridge the gap between the government and public.
- To facilitate quick clearance for industries, the state government introduced Advantage Jharkhand Portal, the country’s first single window portal.
Kamala Laxman, well known author for children’s book passed away in Pune.
- Widow of legendary cartoonist R.K. Laxman, Kamala was commissioned by the India Book House in the 1970s to write stories for children, such as Thama and His Missing Mother and tales of Tenali Raman.
- The Tenali Raman stories penned by her were later memorably serialised into 13 and telecast on Doordarshan.
- Kamala was born in Chennai. She attended St. Thomas’ Convent and later graduated from Delhi’s Indraprastha College.
- She also studied interior decoration from Sir J.J. School of Arts in Mumbai.
Actor Saeed Jaffrey passes away.
- Veteran actor, Saeed Jaffrey, who was seen in films like Shatranj Ke Khiladi and Ram Teri Ganga Maili, passed away on Sunday, November 15, 2015. He was 86.
- Saeed Jaffrey was the first Indian actor to tour Shakespeare, taking his company across the United States.
- He had also won the Filmfare Award for the film, Shatranj Ke Khiladi, in the Best Supporting Actor category.
ICICI Bank Canada, a subsidiary of private lender ICICI Bank launched Student GIC (Guranteed Investment Certificate) program for students aspiring to study in Canada.
- As per the terms of the programme, the amount of C$10,000 is paid back to the student while he/she is studying in Canada in 12 equal instalments along with the interest amount.
- The processing fee for applying to this programme is C$150.
- ICICI Bank Canada is the first Indian bank to be authorised by Canadian High Commission to accept GIC from Indian students.
- This programme enables students from India to fulfil the prerequisite of purchasing a GIC by transferring funds from any bank account held by them in India to their ICICI Bank Canada account.
Healthcare booking platform Practo and taxi-hailing platform Uber today announced a global partnership to help people reach doctors easily.
- Across India, Indonesia, Philippines and Singapore, those who book an appointment on Practo’s mobile application will be able to view the closest Uber available along with the appointment reminder alert.
- The next phase of integration will involve notifying the user to request for an Uber, an hour prior to the appointment.
- The partnership comes with an India-specific inaugural offer where any existing or new user booking an appointment on Practo till November 30, will get a free ride to and from the doctor’s clinic.
Download: Computer Capsule for Bank exams
Silver Medal for Saina Nehwal at China Open 2015.
- Ace Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal has won silver medal at 2015 China Open Superseries Premier Badminton tournament after finishing at second position in the Women’s Singles category.
- In the final match played at the Haixia Olympic Sports Centre in Fuzhou, the defending champion and top seeded Saina lost to sixth placed Xuerui Li from China by 12-21, 15-21 score.
Brazilian Grand Prix : Nico Rosberg beat Lewis Hamilton.
- German Formula One motor racer Nico Rosberg on 15 November 2015 defeated Lewis Hamilton to grab the Brazilian Grand Prix trophy.
- Sebastian Vettel grabbed the third position in the race.
- With the win, Rosberg reserved his place as runner-up in 2015 Formula One world championship.
- The Brazilian Grand Prix was German F1 Driver’s second consecutive win following the 2015 Mexican Grand Prix. Besides, it was his fifth win of 2015 and the 13th of his career.