16 September: 21st International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer observed across the world .
- Theme : 30 Years of Healing the Ozone Together
- Slogan :Ozone: All there is between you and UV
- This year also marks the 30th anniversary of theVienna Convention for the Protection of the Ozone Layer that was signed on 22 March 1985.
Ashok Alexander Sirdharan from Kerala wins Bonn mayoral election.
· Sridharan will be appointed as the country’s first Indian origin mayor.
· He defeated ruling Social Democratic Party to brought the Christian Democratic Union (CDU) to power in Bonn after over two decades.
· Sridharan’s father was an Indian diplomat, immigrated to Germany in the 1950s and married his German mother.
· Earlier he had also served as treasurer and assistant mayor in the nearby Koenigswinter town.
Sunjeev Sahota, British-Indian author shortlisted for the prestigious Man Booker International Prize, 2015.
- He was shortlisted for this novel“The Year of the Runaways.
Other Novelists short-listed :
- British writer Tom McCarthy for his book Satin Island
- Anne Tyler (US) for A Spool of Blue Thread
- Hanya Yanagihara (US) for A Little Life
- Marlon James (Jamaica) for A Brief History of Seven Killings
- Chigozie Obioma (Nigeria) for The Fishermen
Delhi Government approves Victim Compensation Scheme.
· It will enhance the upper limit of compensation as follow :
· Rape victims : 5 lakh rupees from existing 3 lakh rupees
· Acid attack victims : 7 lakh rupees from 3 lakh rupees
· The decision was taken during a cabinet meet headed by CM Arvind Kejriwal.
Anupam Kher honored in US with certificate of recognition.
· He received the ‘Certificate of Recognition’ from the California legislature for his dedication to helping Kashmiri Hindu community.
· The certificate added to the list of honours Kher has received in the US.
· He was presented with the ‘Honoured Guest’ award by the US state of Texas and September 10 was announced as ‘Anupam Kher Day’ in Las Vegas.
Union Cabinet approves Shyama Prasad Mukherji Rurban Mission (SPMRM).
- The Mission approved with an outlay of 5142.08 crore rupees is a bid to transform rural areas to economically, socially and physically sustainable spaces.
- The mission seeks to create 300 Rurban growth clusters over the next 3 years, across the country.
Sheikh Hasina, Bangaldesh PM wins UN award for climate change.
· She has been announced winners in recognition of her country’s initiatives to address climate change.
· Bangladesh is also the first country to set up its own Climate Change Trust Fund, supported by nearly USD 300 million of domestic resources from 2009-2012.
· She will be handed with award at a special ceremony on September 27 at the close of the Sustainable Development Summit.
Indian-origin British Members of Parliament (MPs), Seema Malhotra and Lisa Nandy, were appointed as to the shadow cabinet of Jeremy Corbyn.
- Jeremy Corbyn is the newly-elected leader of Labour Party in the United Kingdom (UK) in third week of September 2015.
- Seema Malhotra was appointed as the shadow chief secretary for Treasury, while Nandy was appointed as shadow secretary for energy and climate change.
Indian American origins Swetha Prabakaran selected in US for Champions of Change award.
- She is 15 year old and was chosen for the award in recognition of her efforts for empowering the community by imparting education of Internet coding through her non-profit Organisation.
- She is among eleven young women selected by the White House as Champions of Change.
- Swetha was born in Indianapolis to Indian parents who had immigrated from Tamil Nadu’s Tirunelveli in 1998.
- She is the founder and CEO of Everybody Code Now, a non-profit body working to empower the next generation of youth to become scientists, engineers and entrepreneurs.
IIT Delhi and IISC ranked in top 200 World University Rankings.
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore and Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi are two India institutes to figure in the top 200 in QS World University Rankings of 2015-16.
- It was the 12th edition QS World University Rankings and has been topped by Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) of United States (US) for record fourth time.
- IISc Bangalore ranked 147th and IIT- Delhi ranked 179th respectively in this year’s annual global university ranking.
Two Rivers Godavari and Krishna to be linked today.
- The programme will be held at Ibrahimpatnam village near Vijayawada.
- Andhra Pradesh CM N Chandrababu Naidu will release water of river Godavari into Krishna on Wednesday to mark the formal linking of the two rivers.
- The linkage of Godavari water with Krishna basin is being made possible by the ‘Pattiseema’ lift irrigation scheme on Godavari river at Pattisam village in West Godavari district, he had said.
Pentagon estabilished India Rapid Reaction Cell to speed up defence ties with india.
- Pentagon has established a first-ever country special cell to speed up its defence ties with India and accelerate the process of co-development and co-production of hi-tech military equipment in the country.
- India is the only country to have a specific cell of its kind inside the Pentagon. Currently, this cell has a staff of seven, representing various wings of the US Department of Defence.
Hangzhou, a Chinese city confirmed as host of Asian Games 2022.
- Olympic Council of Asia made this announcment at its General Assembly in Ashgabat.
- The capital of China’s Zhejiang province, Hangzhou, was the sole bidder to stage the 19th edition of Asia’s biggest multi-sports event.
- China has hosted the Asian Games twice before, at Beijing in 1990 and Guangzhou in 2010, and has already been awarded the Winter Olympics in 2022.