20 June 2015 Current affairs / GK / GA : India-born former Google executive Nikesh Arora appointed the President of Japan’s telecommunications giant SoftBank Corp that paid the “rising star” a whopping US$135 million for the financial year 2014.
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj today left for New York to participate in the International Yoga Day event being organised by the Indian Mission at the United Nations.
- She will represent India next week in Nepal at a global donors’ conference aimed at raising funds for the earthquake-hit country(Nominated by PM Shri Narendra Modi).
Village Mentoring Project (VMP) launched by Haryana government with an objective to improve healthcare and education of the villagers with a special emphasis on girl child.
- The project would create awareness among the villagers about various issues including educating girl child, health, financial matters etc
India Unlimited launched by Indian mission in Sweden.
- India Unlimited is a platform for connecting India and Sweden in every field where both stand to gain.
- Seeking synergies between Swedish and Indian entrepreneurship, Indian mission in Sweden has launched ‘India Unlimited’ platform.
- The aim of the platform ‘India Unlimited’ is promoting Brand India in Sweden and Brand Sweden in India.
France Government banned wearing or use of earphones while driving any vehicle or riding bicycle.
- The ban will be effective from 1 July 2015. The ban was aimed to reduce the cases of death due to accidents.
- A fine of 135 Euro (214 US dollar) will be imposed on who found using earphone while driving a vehicle or riding bicycle.
Jharkhand CM Raghuvar Das imposed ban on sale of thermocol plates in entire state.
- The ban seeks to promote leaf plates and generation of employment of poor and tribal people of state , who are employed in making leaf plates.
- He was on 2 days visit to west singhbhum district including naxal affected Saranda. He also announced one lakh rupees to villages which becomes liquor free.
State government decided to launch “State Soil Health Mission” to make Arunachal Pradesh a hundred percent organic state.
- The programme aims at proper documentation of soil health and preparation of soil map.
PM Narender Modi to launch 3 flagship schemes for urban revamp on june 25.
- The three big ticket projects — Smart Cities Mission, Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT) and the Housing for All, now named as Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY), are worth Rs. four lakh crore.
- It marks a red-letter day in the history of urban development in the country with the simultaneous launch of AMRUT, PMAY and Smart Cities Mission
World’s first electric passenger aircraft named BX1E launched by China.
- It can be used in pilot training, tourism, meteorology and rescue operations.
- The aircraft was designed together by Shenyang Aerospace University and Liaoning General Aviation Academy located in the northeastern Liaoning Province of China.
Former Turkish President Suleyman Demirel died following a heart failure and a respiratory tract infection. He was 90.
- Demirel was one of the dominant figures in Turkey’s politics for over half a century.
- He served as the President of Turkey from 1993 to 2000.
- Before that he also held the post of Prime Minister of the country several times in the 1960s and 1970s.
Sachin Tendulkar might have to return his Bharat Ratna after a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) was filed against him in the Madhya Pradesh High Court for allegedly misusing the prestigious honour by appearing in commercial advertisements on television.
- The Madhya Pradesh High Court has now directed the assistant solicitor general to find out within a week if there are any Supreme Court guidelines that bar Tendulkar, or any other Bharat Ratna awardee for that matter, from appearing in television commercials.
FIFA U-20 World Cup : Serbia pulled off a historic 2-1 win in extra time to beat heavily favoured Brazil in the final of the Fifa Under-20 World Cup in Auckland on Saturday.
- Scientists named a newly discovered galaxy after Portuguese football player Cristiano Ronaldo. The galaxy was labeled as CR7 (COSMOS Redshift 7). CR7 is three times brighter than the brightest distant galaxy known till now, called Himiko.