23 June 2015 current affairs / GK / GA : Kerala Government declared June 22 as ‘Snake Bird Day’ in a bid to protect the endangered species which is also known as Indian darter.
- The formal announcement was made by State minister for forest Thiruvanchur Radhakrishnan at a function organised by Snake Bird Foundation in Thiruvananthapuram.
- It is water bird which is also known as Indian darter (Anhinga melanogaster). It has large slender long-necked water bird and is mostly black with silver wing markings.
SBG Cleantech Limited, a Joint Venture formed by Japan headquartered telecommunications and Internet major SoftBank Corp, Bharti Enterprises Limited and Taiwan-based Foxconn Technology Group.
- Aim : Promoting the adoption of clean and safe energy in India.
- SBG Cleantech will be a harbinger of solar and wind energy.
- The venture will invest in developing renewable energy plants across India.
- SBG Cleantech will be committed to contribute to Union Government’s mission of 24×7 power for all and achieving 100GW solar and 60GW wind target by 2022.
Note : SBG Cleantech will have Manoj Kohli, a Bharti Enterprises Limited veteran, as its executive chairman and Raman Nanda will be the Chief Executive Officer of the company. The company will be headquartered in Delhi.
Read : Problem on Number Cyclicity Tutorial
Rajasthan topped the list of states commissioning grid connected solar power projects in the country with an installed capacity of 1147 megawatt according to a list released by the Union ministry of New and Renewable Energy on 4 June 2015.
- Gujarat, which remained the undisputed leader in solar energy generation till 2014, came second with an installed capacity of 1000MW.
- The state has also signed MoUs with power developers like SunEdison, Adani Enterprises, Reliance Power and Azure Power that will generate 14000 MW solar power. National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) is already in the process of commissioning 680 MW in the state.
Maharashtra topped the lost of States and UTs in IPR filling in 2013-14 according to a report released by India Brand Equity Foundation (IBEF) in the third week of June 2015.
- Maharashtra topped the list of states and Union Territories (UTs), Bengaluru was the top city in IPR filing.
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Siddaganga Institute of Technology, Tumakuru and Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) figured in the top 10 scientific bodies and institutions with 32, 24 and 12 filings respectively.
- India Brand Equity Foundation (IBEF), is a trust established by the Department of Commerce, Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
Sister Nirmala Joshi, former Superior General of Missionaries of Charity passes away in Kolkata after brief illness. She was 81.
- She had taken over as Superior General in March 1997 after the death of Mother Teresa.
- Sister Nirmala was elected as Superior General of the Missionaries of Charity six months before Mother Teresa’s death (September 5, 1997).
- She was bestowed with the Padma Vibhushan, India’s second highest civilian award in 2009 for her services to the nation.
Read : IBPS PO 2015 Notification
Maharashtra government officially declared Blue Mormon species as State butterfly as part of state symbols. Decision in this regard was taken in State Wildlife Board meeting presided by Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis in Mumbai.
- Maharashtra became the first State in the country to have a State butterfly.
- Blue Mormon (Papilio polymnestor) is the second largest butterfly species in terms of size, after the southern birdwing (Troides minos).
Typhoon Kujira struck in south China’s Hainan province with heavy rain in the drought hit island. It also carried packing winds of up to 90 kilometers per hour. Typhoon Kujira is the eighth typhoon of 2015.