14 October 2015 Important current affairs for IBPS PO Mains, IBPS Clerk Mains, Other competitions : Man Booker Prize 2015 : Jamaican writer Marlon James
- Jamaican writer Marlon James on 13 October 2015 won the 2015 Man Booker Prize for Fiction for his novel A Brief History of Seven Killings.
- With this, James became the first Jamaican author to win the prize in its 47-years of history.
- James was honoured with the prize money of 50000 Euros, a trophy and a designer bound edition of his book.
- He was also awarded with additional 2500 Euros for being shortlisted for the prize.
Arun Jaitley chosen as “Finance Minsiter of the Year, Asia” by Emerging Markets.
- The magazine in an article said that Jaitley too deserves some recognition for India’s relative economic success over the last 18 months.
- It says that without his decisions and stewardship of India’s financial direction, India would not have achieved what it has.
- Apart from this, Atiur Rahman, the Governor of Bangladesh Bank was named as the Central Bank Governor of the Year, Asia 2015.
- He was awarded for generating considerable strength and resilience in the economy of Bangladesh..
IAS officer Alkesh Sharma appointed as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Managing Director (MD) of the Delhi-Mumbai Industrial Corridor Development Corporation (DMICDC).
- The appointment was approved by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet.
- He would serve the office for three years from the date of assumption of charge.
- Sharma is a 1990-batch IAS officer of the Kerala cadre.
N Venugpala Rao : CEO of reliance power
- Rao, who has obtained an MBA degree in Finance & Marketing, holds a rich experience of about 35 years in project development, project finance, project planning, contracts management and Finance & Accounts.
- Prior to the appointment, He was the CEO of Sasan Power Limited, a 100 percent subsidiary of Reliance Power, which developed the world’s largest integrated coal mine and power project, Sasan Ultra Mega Power Project (UMPP), with an investment of nearly 27000 crore rupees.
Indian female bodybuilder Shweta Rathore won a silver medal in the 49th Asian Bodybuilding and Physique Championship, held in Uzbekistan.
- With this, she became the first ever Indian female bodybuilder to win a medal at a continental level tournament.
- Shweta, an engineer by qualification, won silver in the Women’s Fitness Physique category and qualified for the World Championship, to be held in Thailand in November 2015
Bill Banvao, Inaam Pao Scheme : launched by Delhi Government on 13 October 2015 to encourage people to receive or demand proper bills for purchases.
- Citizens will be eligible for the scheme only on a bill or cash memo/retail invoice of not less than 100 rupees for purchases made from a registered dealer in Delhi.
- The maximum prize to be given under the scheme is 50000 rupees.
- To avail the reward, the purchaser can upload the bill/cash memo on the website of the Department of Trade and Taxes within seven days of purchase.
- A snapshot of the bill can also be sent to the designated number of the department through Whatsapp.
- After the bill is sent to the department, a unique ID will be generated for each bill and sent to the customer via SMS.
- The bill must include the registration number (TIN) of the dealer, full name of each item purchased, rate of tax charged against each and total sale value (excluding VAT).
- The winner will be selected through a computerised draw of lots using the unique IDs generated against each bill received by the department.
China operationalises Zam Hydropower Station on Brahmaputra in Tibet.
- It has raised concerns in India over the likelihood of disrupting water supplies of River.
- The dam is considered to be the world’s highest-altitude hydropower station and largest of its kind.
- Annually it will produce produces 2.5 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity.
- The power station is located in the Gyaca County of Tibet and is considered as the largest in this region.
India Climbed 16 places in WEF’s Global Competitiveness Index to 55th position.
- The list was topped by Switzerland, followed by Singapore, the US, Germany and the Netherlands.
- Among the larger emerging markets, South Africa progressed seven places to 49th place, while China held steady at 28, Indonesia was 37th (down three) and Brazil was 75th.
Download: September 2015 Current Affairs Digest
Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo receives Golden Boot for record fourth time.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has received a record fourth Golden Boot after topping Europe’s goalscoring charts for the 2014/15 season.
- Real Madrid star scored 48 goals in 35 La Liga appearances last term to win the honour for the third time at Madrid, with his other triumph coming during the 2007/08 season at Manchester United.
- It means Ronaldo becomes the first player in the awards’ illustrious 47-year history to win the accolade four times.