Indian community launched Modi Express bus ahead of Modi’s visit in November.
- Over 400 community organisations have come together to launch the ‘Modi Express’ for ‘Bus Pe Charcha’ in London.
- The bus, which started its journey on Sunday, stopped at Ealing Road or ‘Little India street’ in Wembley where the Indian community is planning to host an Olympics style reception for Modi during his visit next month.
- The ‘Modi Express’ bus will then head to Trafalgar Square to celebrate Diwali with the Indian Prime Minister.
- Modi is expected to address the Indian community at Wembley Stadium on 13 November — the day of Diwali celebrations.
Sharad Mehrotra : new CEO of Telenor India
- He replaced Vivek Sood who has been promoted to the positions of Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer (CMO).
- The appointments will be effective from 1 November 2015.
- Before the appointment, Mehrotra worked as Chief Marketing Officer of Telenor Myanmar, where he played a pivotal role in the successful launch of Telenor’s mobile services.
India signed Rs 130 crore deal for 194 microlight aircrafts.
- India signed a Rs 130 crore deal for 194 microlight aircraft from Slovenian company Pipistrel Aircraft, for use by its National Cadet Corps (NCC), Air Force and Navy.
- The contract was inked by Pipistrel CEO, Ivo Boscarol with the MoD.
- At the Defence Acquisition Council meeting chaired by defence minister Manohar Parrikar in July, the nod was given for buying and staggering the microlight aircraft from Slovenian Aircraft manufacturer Pipistrel.
Attempt: Indian Polity Quiz – 2
MD and CEO of Bank of Baroda : Jayakumar
- P S Jayakumar, the former chief executive of VBHC Value Homes, on Tuesday took charge as the new MD and CEO of the state-owned Bank of Baroda for three years.
- P S Jayakumar, 53, has taken over as the chief of BoB at a time when the bank is under the investigation glare for an alleged fraud and black money transactions worth over Rs 6,000 crore.
- Last week, it was alleged that a whopping Rs 6,172 crore was remitted from Bank of Baroda to Hong Kong camouflaged as payments for non-existent imports like cashew, pulses and rice.
- The amount was allegedly deposited in 59 accounts in cash as advance for imports that never existed.
MITRA SHAKTI 2015 : 3rd India-Sri Lanka Joint Training Exercise culminated on 12 Oct 2015 at Aundh Military Camp, Pune.
- The 14-day joint training included understanding of transnational terrorism, developing interoperability and conduct of joint tactical operations controlled by a Joint Command Post.
- The exercise demonstrated the determination of the two Armies in working closely with each other to eradicate the menace of terrorism in all its forms.
- The 2014 edition of the Mitra Shakti joint exercise was held at the Uva-Kudaoya Commando Regiment Training School near Colombo in Sri Lanka between 3 November and 23 November 2014.
Fifth joint military exercise between India and China started at Kunming Military Academy, Yunnan Province, China on 12 October 2015.
- The 12 day exercise lays emphasis on joint handling of counter terrorism and ‘Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief’.
- The exercise Hand-in-Hand-2015 will play important role in deepening mutual cooperation and forging a closer development partnership.
- It would also facilitate in tackling the world wide phenomenon of terrorism.
National Executive Council approved Green India Mission Plans.
- National Executive Council (NEC) of the National Mission for a Green India (GIM) on 9 October 2015 approved the Perspective Plans & Annual Plan of Operations (APOs) submitted by four States, namely Mizoram, Manipur, Jharkhand and Kerala.
- The plans were approved during the second meeting of NEC of GIM.
- Approval was granted for alternative energy devices such as biogas, solar devices, LPG, biomass-based systems and improved stoves for 27032 households for the financial year 2015-16 and 81233 households for the total plan period.
- It will help in reducing pressure on forests, gaining carbon benefits, along with health and other associated benefits.
Ranganath D Mavinakere : new CFO of Infosys
- India’s second largest software services firm, Infosys has appointed Ranganath D Mavinakere as new Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
- He will succeed Rajiv Bansal who was Executive Vice President (EVP) and the CFO of Infosys and had resigned from the company.
- Prior to this appointment, Mavinakere was EVP and head of strategic operations and CEO’s office of Infosys.
- He has rich experience of about 18 years across banking and IT services industries.
- In his 15-year career with Infosys, he has held several leadership positions in the company.
- Mavinakere worked with ICICI Limited from 1991 to 1999 where he was senior Vice President of Treasury and Planning.
India Funds 5 million US dollars grant to Palestine as budgetary assistance.
- The grant was handed over by Indian President Pranab Mukherjee during his visit to Palestine.
- Both countries also announced five projects worth 17.79 million US dollars aimed at capacity building in the Palestinian territories.
- The projects include a 12 million US dollars techno park, a 4.5 million US dollars Palestine Institute for Diplomacy and a 1 million US dollars India-Palestine Centre for Excellence in Gaza.
Filmmaker I V Sasi : J.C Daniel Award 2015
- Renowned Malayalam filmmaker I.V. Sasi on 12 October 2015 was awarded with the prestigious J.C. Daniel Award for the year 2014 for his contributions towards the Malayalam entertainment industry.
- Sasi has made over 150 Indian films in various languages and genres.
- However, he is mostly known for his South Indian films.