Daily gk / current affairs / awareness 12th & 13th july 2015 – important for ibps clerk , po , rrb exams , ssc cgl , ssc 10+2 chsl exam 2015.
Book “Green Signals: Ecology, Growth, and Democracy in India” was in news in the second week of July 2015.
- The book was written by former Union Environment and Forest Minister (Independent Charge) Jairam Ramesh.
- It unveils the story of environmental policy making in India from the perspective of a pivotal decision maker.
Vyapam: Vyavsayik Pariksha Mandal / Madhya Pradesh Professional Examination Board (MPPEB)Scam : Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on 12 July 2015 constituted a special team of 40 officers, under a Joint Director level officer, to probe the multi-crore Vyapam scam of Madhya Pradesh.
About Vyapam Scam : Vyapam scam is an admission and recruitment scam involving politicians, senior officials and businessmen in Madhya Pradesh.
- The scam involved a collusion of undeserving candidates, who bribed politicians and MPPEB officials through middlemen, to get high ranks in these entrance tests.
- The CBI constituted the team following the direction of Supreme Court (SC) of India.
- SC bench headed by Chief Justice of India HL Dattu on 9 July 2015 transferred the probe of all cases related to Vyapam scam to the CBI. It also asked the agency to file its report before it on 24 July 2015.
- Earlier, the case was being handled by a Special Task Force and was monitored by the High Court.
Miss USA 2015 title : Miss Oklahoma, Olivia Jordan, won big at the 2015 Miss USA pageant on Sunday, July 12, beating out 50 women to win the crown.
- Jordan, 26, made it through the fierce rounds of the competition, sliding into the Top 15 after preliminary events and captivating viewers as she worked it in the live show’s bikini and evening gown rounds.
- Jordan was followed in the top five by first runner-up Miss Texas Ylianna Guerra, second runner-up Miss Rhode Island Anea Garcia, third runner-up Miss Nevada Brittany McGowan, and fourth runner-up Miss Maryland Mamé Adjei.
India and Tajikistan on 13 July 2015 inked two agreements/Memorandum of Understanding (MOUs).
- Agreements aims to further strengthen their defence cooperation which is a strong pillar of strategic partnership between both the friendly nations.
- The following agreements were inked during the two-day visit of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to Tajikistan from 12 July to 13 July 2015.
- Programme of Cooperation (POC) in the field of Culture for the years 2016-18
- Exchange of Note Verbale (NV) on setting up of Computer Labs in 37 Schools in Tajikistan
India and Kyrgyzstan on 12 July 2015 signed four agreements/Memorandum of Understanding (MOUs).
- The agreements were inked during the two-day visit of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to Kyrgyzstan from 11 July to 12 July 2015.
- The MOUs aims to strengthen bilateral relations as well as regional and international issues of mutual interest, in warm and friendly atmosphere.
Following MoUs signed :
- Agreement on Defence Cooperation
- Memorandum of Mutual Understanding and Cooperation in the field of Elections
- MoU between on cooperation in the sphere of Standards
- greement on Cooperation in Culture
SBI, the largest bank in India, partnered online financial product aggregator ‘bankbazaar.com’ along with the bank’s subsidiary SBI CAP Securities.
- Under this arrangement, the bank will be able to display its home loan products on bankbazaar.com, generate leads and provide door-step delivery, thus improving the response time.
- com offers end to end solutions to the home loan seekers from getting the customised quotes, comparison of the offers and submission of online application to SBI.
Golden Peacock Environment Management Award (GPEMA) 2015 : Tata Steel’s West Bokaro Division was on 11 July 2015 conferred with the Golden Peacock Environment Management Award (GPEMA) 2015 in New Delhi.
- Tata Steel won the coveted award for its responsible environmental practices and resource management while upgrading the skills of employees through training as new technologies evolve.
- The Award was presented by the Union Environment, Forest and Climate Change Minister Prakash Javadekar to Sanjay Rajoria, General Manager of West Bokaro, Tata Steel of Jharkand.
Patnitop Tunnel was in news on 13 July 2015.
- Union Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari attended a ceremony when the National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) engineers drilled a hole through the final section of the tunnel between Chenani and Nashri.
- Patnitop Tunnel is located on Jammu-Sri Nagar National Highwary (NH1A) in Udhampur district of Jammu and Kashmir.
- The Patnitop Tunnel or Chenani-Nashri Tunnel is touted as India’s longest road tunnel.
GAGAN (GPS AIDED GEO AUGMENTED NAVIGATION) system launched by Union Minister of Civil Aviation P Ashok Gajapathi Raju in New Delhi.
- Technically, the final operational phase of the system commenced on 19 May 2015, when it started broadcasting APV1 Certified aviation signals.
- With this, India become the fourth nation after the US, Europe and Japan to have inter-operable Satellite Based Augmentation System (SBAS).
- GAGAN is the first SBAS system in the world to serve the equatorial region.
BCCI suspended Mumbai Ranji cricketer Hiken Shah with immediate effect.
- He was suspended by the BCCI after being found guilty of breaching BCCI’s Anti-Corruption Code.
- His involvement in any form of cricket, affiliated with the BCCI stands suspended till the time the disciplinary committee of the BCCI passes appropriate orders.
- The BCCI press release says that Hiken Shah made a corrupt approach to one of his colleagues – Pravin Tambe of IPL franchise Rajasthan Royals before the 2015 edition of the IPL.
Defending champion Novak Djokovic on 12 July 2015 won men’s singles title of Wimbledon.
- In the final played in London, Serbian Djokovic defeated Roger Federer of Switzerland 7-6, 6-7, 6-4,6-3 in the final played in London.
- This was his third Wimbledon title and Grand Slam crown.
Wimbledon Women’s Single title : World Number One Serena Williams on 11 July 2015 has won Wimbledon Women’s Single title.
- Williams (US) defeated Garbine Muguruza (Spain) in straight sets 6-4, 6-4 in the final clash played at Centre Court, London.
- This was Sixth Women’s Singles title at Wimbledon for Williams.
- With 21 Grand Slam titles, Serena has also moved closer to a Calendar Grand Slam, last achieved by German Steffi Graf in 1988.
- Muguruza was making her maiden appearance in a Grand Slam Final.
Leander Paes (India) and Martina Hingis (Swiss) won the mixed doubles title of Wimbledon.
- Indo-Swiss pair defeated Austrian-Hungarian team of Alexander Peya and Timea Babos 6-1, 6-1 in the final played in London.
- It was Paes’ eighth mixed doubles title and second with Hingis. Earlier this year, they had won the Australian Open early this year.
- Wimbledon was held from 29 June to 12 July 2015.
Wimbledon Women’s Doubles title : Indo-Swiss pair of Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis defeated the Russian combination of Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina to win Wimbledon Women’s Doubles title.
- This is Sania’s first-ever women’s doubles Grand Slam title.
- Although she has won three mixed doubles titles viz. Australian Open (2009) and French Open (2012) with compatriot Mahesh Bhupathi and the US Open with Bruno Soares last year.
- With this title, Sania also became the first Indian women to win a Wimbledon title.
Wimbledon Boy’s Doubles Title : Indo-Vietnamese pair Sumit Nagal-Nam Hoang Ly on 12 July 2015 won the 2015 Wimbledon Boys’ Doubles title by defeating Opelka and Akira Santillan in the final match played in London.
- Eighth seeded pair defeated the fourth seeded USA-Japanese pair 7-6 (4) 6-4.
- With this win, the 17-year- old Sumit Nagal became the sixth Indian to win a Grand Slam junior title.