BrahMos missile test fired from Indian Navy’s stealth destroyer INS Kochi, hits target.
- The second of Project 15A ‘Kolkata-class’ guided missile destroyers test-fired the advanced missile system as part of ‘Acceptance Test Firing’ during a naval drill being conducted along the country’s west coast.
- The navy commissioned INS Kochi on September 30, this year. The 7,500-ton indigenously developed warship incorporates new design concepts for improved survivability, stealth, sea-keeping and manoeuvrability.
Hero MotoCrop founder Brijmohan Lall Munjal passes away after a brief illness.
- He was 92. Munjal passed away at a private hospital in South Delhi, according to family sources.
- He is survived by three sons and one daughter. The cremation will be done tomorrow.
Former Cabinet Secreatry T.S.R Subramanian appointed to head committee set up by HRD Ministry to draft new education policy.
- The committee has been mandated to submit the draft of the new policy no later than December 31, 2015.
- The committee also has on board Shailaja Chandra, former Chief Secretary, NCT of Delhi; Sewaram Sharma, former Home Secretary, NCT of Delhi; Sudhir Mankad, former Chief Secretary of Gujarat, and J.S. Rajput, former Director, NCERT.
- The National University of Educational Planning and Administration (NUEPA) will act as its Secretariat.
Anil Kumar Jha take over charge as CMD of Mahanadi Coalfields Limited.
- Prior of taking charge he was Director (Production & Planning) in MOIL Limited.
- The officer brings with him a rich and diverse experience of mine planning, production, management supervision, direction and control of underground as well as open cast coal mines, it said.
Punjab signed up MoU for setting up a bio ethanol refinery.
- The MoU was inked with a consortium of Beta Renewables, Novozymes and CVC India Infrastructure Pvt. Ltd. for an estimated project worth Rs. 950 crore, during the Progressive Punjab Investor Summit, 2015
- During the summit, 12 other MoUs worth Rs. 21,305 crore were also signed.
Reliance Communications to merge Sistema Shyam Tele with itself .
- R-Com on Monday signed a definitive agreement with Sistema JSFC, a publicly-traded holding company in Russia, for demerger of SSTL. As a result, SSTL will acquire and hold a 10% equity stake in R-Com.
- R-Com will also take over the liability to pay the department of telecommunications (DoT) instalments for SSTL’s spectrum, amounting to Rs.392 crore a year, for the next 10 years. As on 31 March, the total debt of R-Com was at Rs.39,828 crore.
- The transaction is expected to be closed in the second quarter of 2016, subject to regulatory approvals.
- After the closure, minority investors of SSTL will be given an option to exchange their shares in SSTL with the pro-rata R-Com shares held by SSTL.
Former footballer Late Ram Bahadur Khel Ratna to be conferred with Khel Ratna.
- The names of former footballer and Asian games gold medallist late Ram Bahadur Chetri and renowned athletics coach Renu Kohli have been officially approved by the state sports ministry for the prestigious Khel Ratna (posthumous) and Devbhoomi Uttarakhand Dronacharya respectively this year.
- Former weightlifter Hansa Manral Sharma will be conferred with life time achievement award.
- The names were approved by a committee headed by Sports Minister Dinesh Agarwal during a meeting held on Saturday night.
- Sports secretary, Sailesh Bagoli, was also present during the meeting.
- Significantly, the sports department received 23 nominations, 16 for Khel Ratna and 7 for the Dronacharya award.
Mexican Grand Prix : Nico Rosberg
- Nico Rosberg win at the Mexican Grand Prix on Sunday ahead of Mercedes teammate and newly-crowned world champion Lewis Hamilton.
- German won by 1.954sec to claim his fourth win of 2015.
- It is the 12th win of his career after leading from pole position to beat home the British racer.
- Finland’s Valtteri Bottas of Williams took third, 14.592sec back.
Preparing for IBPS Clerk Prelims 2015?
Top seeded pair of Sania Mirza and Martina Hingies wins doubles title at WTA Finals.
- In final, they defeated Spanish pair of Garbine Muguruza and Carla Suarez Navarro.
- Hingis last played in a WTA Finals title match 15 years ago.
- The victory is Hingis’ 50th career doubles title, and her third (1999 and 2000) at the season-ender.