6th National Voters Day (25th January) observed ; Theme : Inclusive and Qualitative Participation.
- Objective : To increase enrolment of voters, especially of the newly eligible ones.
- National function of the NVD was held in New Delhi and presided over by President of India, Pranab Mukherjee.
- Chief Election Commissioner Dr. nasim Zaidi also released book titled “Belief in the Ballot”.
Padma awards 2016 announced.
Padma Vibushan Awardees :
- Actor Rajnikanth
- Media baron Ramoji Rao,
- Former J&K Governor Jagmohan
- Spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
Padma Bhushan Awardees :
- Former CAG Vinod Rai, Bollywood actor Anupam Kher
- Singer Udit Narayan awarded Padma Bhushan.
- Robert D Blackwill, former US Ambassador to India
- Saina Nehwal , Sania Mirza and Indu Jain of Bennett, Coleman & Co get Padma Bhushan.
Padma Shri Awardees :
- Sr lawyer Ujjwal Nikam,
- Actors Ajay Devgn and Priyanka Chopra
- Reliance Industries founder late Dhirubhai Ambani awarded Padma Vibhushan.
- Read Complete List of Padam Awards 2016
Giriputrika Kalyana Pathakam Scheme Launched by Andhra Pradesh Government for tribal people.
- Objective : To support the tribal women in their quest for livelihood.
- The scheme was launched by Andhra Pradesh Minister for Social Welfare Ravela Kishore Babu.
- The scheme seeks to reduce rampant infant mortality and child marriages among tribal people.
- The scheme is envisaged to provide nutritional food to infants till the age of seven years.
Marcelo Robelo de Sousa wins Portugal Presidential Election
- Sousa, a centre-right Social Democrats candidate and a former journalist, won the election by securing 52 percent of votes.
Renowned Table Player Shankar Ghosh passes away.
- He was 80. He is survived by his wife Sanjukta Ghosh, a classical vocalist of Patiala gharana, a son, daughter-in-law and two grandsons.
- Ghosh was trained by legendary Pandit Gyan Prakash Ghosh, Ustad Feroz Khan, Pandit Anath Nath Bose and Pandit Sudarshan Adhikari.
- He followed the Farukhabad gharana of Hindustani classical music.
- He also received the ITC Sangeet Research Academy award and the Ustad Hafiz Ali Khan award.
New CMD of GIC Re (General Insurance Corporation of India), National Reinsurer : Alice Vaidyan
- She will hold office till July 31, 2019.
- GIC Re is the 14th largest reinsurer globally and is presently the only reinsurance company in India.
Pay Online for LPG refills.
- LPG users can pay online for their cylinder refills on the website www.mylpg.in soon after booking their refill for delivery.
- The facility was launched here on Sunday by Dharmendra Pradhan, Union Minister for Petroleum and Natural Gas.
- ITTF World Junior Circuit Finals : Izumo Takuto and Zhu Chengzhu wins in Boy’s and girl’s categories respectively.
- ITTF World Junior Circuit Finals were held at the Abhay Prashal Stadium, Indore, Madhya Pradesh.
16 Pacts signed between India and France.
Agreements were signed in the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and French President Francois Hollande, who began his three-day visit to India.
Hollande is the Chief Guest at the 67th India’s Republic Day (26 January 2016) celebrations.
He is the fifth French leader to be a chief guest at India’s Republic Day celebrations, maximum number from any country so far.
- MoU between AFD and Maharashtra on technical cooperation in the field of sustainable urban development for development of smart city in Nagpur.
- MoU between AFD and the Union Territory of Chandigarh on technical cooperation in the field of sustainable urban development for development of smart city in Chandigarh.
- MoU between AFD and the Union Territory of Puducherry on technical cooperation in the field of sustainable development for development of smart city in Puducherry.
- Wind Power Development Agreement between EDF JV with SITAC RE India to jointly explore opportunities for development of wind based power project in India.
- MOU between EPI ltd – Dassault Systèmes in urban sector development.
- MOU between EPI-Egis – urban sector development.
- MOU between EPI- Schneider Electric – urban sector development.
- MOU between EPI-Thales – urban sector development.
- MOU between EPI-EDF – urban sector development.
- MOU between EPI-Alstom – urban sector development.
- MOU between EPI-SA CAN – urban sector development.
- MOU between EPI-Lumiplan ITS India Pvt Ltd – urban sector development.
- MOU between EPI-POMA – urban sector development.
- Agreement between CEA (the French Alternative Energies and Atomic Energy Commission) and Green Ventures – Solar photo voltaic projects in the Indian rural areas (Varanasi, U.P.).
- Agreement between CEA (the French Alternative Energies and Atomic Energy Commission) and Crompton Greaves – To explore opportunities in Solar Photo Voltaic (PV) System with storage function for Indian Airports.
- Mahindra-Airbus cooperation to create the new private strategic partner for helicopters within the Make in India initiative.
Malayalam actor Kalpana passes away in Hyderabad.
- She was 51. Kalpana Ranjani was in Hyderabad to shoot a Telugu film and was scheduled to leave for Kerala later today.
- Kalpana had received the National award for best supporting actress for her performance in “Thanichala Njan” (2012).
Join : Railway NTPC Test Series
Blind T20 Asia Cup : India Won first T20 Asia Cup for Blind
- In the final clash played at Jawaharlal Nehru stadium of Kochi, India defeated Pakistan by 44 runs.
- Batting first, India scored 208 runs in 20 over whereas Pakistan was restricted to 164 runs in 18.2 over.