5th and 6th July 2015: Daily current affairs / GK / awareness : Digital India Week : Centre for Development of Telematics (C-DOT) launched four new products including solar powered Wi-Fi and long distance Wi-Fi.
- The solar powered Wi-Fi hotspots can be used for smart cities, rural schools or panchayats, extending broadband connectivity remote/ unconnected places.
- It can also be used in ship to ship communications in deep seas.
- Apart from these, C-DOT also launched Next Generation Network solution that will address the needs of the changing telecom scenario and would enable smooth transition from Time Division Multiplexing (TDM) to Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP).
Country’s first MUDRA (Micro Units Development and Refinance Agency) card under the Pradhan Mantri MUDRA Yojana (PMMY) launched by Corporation Bank in Mangalore, Karnataka.
- The card is based on theRuPay platform and facilitates the withdrawal and use of the working capital finance by micro entrepreneurs.
Under the PMMY, the bank launched three loan schemes-Shishu, Kishore and Tarun– to entrepreneurs based on their capacity to repay.
- Shishuscheme provides loan up 50000 rupees
- Amount of up to5 lakh rupeeswill be lent under the Kishore scheme.
- Under Tarun scheme loan up to10 lakh rupees will be offered.
Note : Pradhan Mantri MUDRA Yojana (PMMY) was launched by PM Narendra Modi on 8 April 2015 under the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) to ensure credit facility to small entrepreneurs through Micro-Finance Institutions (MFIs).
30 Day State of Emergency declared in tunisia by president beji Caid Essebsi.
- State of emergency temporarily gives the government more flexibility and the army and police more authority in dealing with suspected terror incidents.
- The decision was taken against the backdrop ofIslamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) gun attack on 26 June 2015 on Hotel Riu Imperial Marhaba on the Mediterranian coast and calls for more such attacks by the militant organisation during the holy month of Ramadan.
- Around 38 foreign tourists were killed in attack belonging to Britain, Germany, Belgium and France among others.
Uttar Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (UPSRTC) become the first State transport corporation to have a vehicle tracking system for inter-city buses.
- It will led to a reduction in accidents and deaths as drivers are wary of crossing the speed limits.
- In a passenger-friendly IT initiative, UPSRTC is also in talks with Delhi Transport Corporation and State transport undertakings in Haryana, Rajasthan and Himachal to have a common bus travel card, apart from Delhi Metro Rail Corporation.
- This is to ensure that the smart cards used by UPSRTC passengers (issued by State Bank of India and ICICI Bank) become interoperable with these Metro rail systems and buses, said Meshram at a PHDCCI event here.
Book titled Modi’s World: Expanding India’s Sphere of Influence was published on 19 June 2015 by Harper Collins. The Book is authored by C Raja Mohan. The books focus on Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s foreign policy.
- In the book, the author presented a sharp analysis of India’s challenges in navigating a rapidly transforming regional and international landscape under Narendra Modi.
- C Raja Mohan is one of India’s highly respected foreign policy analysts and commentators.
Having all but booked a berth in next year’s Rio Olympics, Indian women’s hockey team arrived in New Delhi early morning to a grand welcome.
- India women’s team’s lone Olympic appearance was at Moscow in 1980.
- Effectively, India’s fifth spot should secure them an Olympic Games ticket when the countdown to allocate spots takes place.
- Three teams — The Netherlands, South Korea and Australia have secured their Rio de Janeiro tickets, but South Korea have already earned an Olympic slot by winning the Asian Games gold medal.
Anuraag Srivastava appointed as Chief Financial Officer Telecom service provider of Tata Teleservices with immediate effect.
- Prior to taking up the new role, Srivastava served Indus Towers as Senior Vice-President of Internal Audit and Assurance.
- He brings with him over 20 years of experience as a finance professional with leadership roles in finance and consumer goods and telecom businesses across multiple geographies, including India, the US and South Asia.
Renowned Urdu novelist from Pakistan Abdullah Hussain died on 4 July 2015 in Lahore after battling with blood cancer.
- He was 84.He is survived by his wife, a son and a daughter.
- He authored the bestseller and critically acclaimed novelUdas Naslain, it is considered as a masterpiece of Urdu literature.
Finance ministry announces the commencement of the electronic filing of income tax returns for 2015-16.
- The department had notified the revised forms two weeks back, after the earlier forms were criticised for seeking unwieldy additional details on taxpayers’ foreign travel and dormant bank accounts.
- ITR forms now have a space for Aadhaar card holders to provide their Unique Identification Numbers.
- The tax department has also introduced the new three-page simplified form called ITR-2A for those who may own more than one residential property , but do not have any capital gains.
Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton of Britain won 2015 Birtish Grand Prix of Formula One (F1).
- This was his fourth victory of the season and his second of Birtish Grand Prix.
- Note : With this victory Hamilton became second British F1 driver to win Birtish Grand Prix two times after David Coulthard.
Ranking after British Grand Prix 2015 :
- Lewis Hamilton (Britain) of Mercedes.
- Nico Rosberg (Germany) of Mercedes
- Sebastian Vettel (Germany) of Ferrari
- Felipe Massa (Brazil) of Williams.
Also Read : How to solve direction sense problem easily
Women’s FIFA world Cup : United States (US) won the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup.
- It is overall third world cup title of US.
- In the World Cup final match played at Vancouver, Canada US defeated Japan by 5-2 goals score.
- US captain and skipper Carli Lloyd scored three goals.
- Lauren Holiday and Tobin Heath scored one goal each.
Awards in women world cup :
- Golden Ball Award: Carli Lloyd (US), Amandine Henry (France), Aya Miyama (Japan).
- Golden Boot Award: Celia Sasic (Germany), Carli Lloyd (US), Anja Mittag (Germany).
- Golden Glove Award: Hope Solo (US).
South Asian Basketball Championship : India wins the 4th edition of South Asian Basketball Championship defeating Sri Lanka 93-44.
- Final played at the Kanteerava stadium in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- With this , India qualified for the FIBA Asia Championship in China which will be played in September 2015.
- Winner team was given the cash prize of 35000 rupees as a personal gesture of Basketball Federation of India President K Govindraj.
- Top Three teams in Championship : India (gold), Sri Lanka (silver) and Nepal (bronze).
Chile won South America’s most prestigious football trophy, the Copa America title 2015 for the first time.
- It is Chile’s first ever international trophy in Football.
- In the final match played at Santiago de Chile, the hosts defeated 14 times champion Argentina by 4-1 goals in the penalty shootout as regular match had ended in a goal-less draw.
- In the penalty shootout Matías Fernández, Arturo Vidal, Alexis Sanchez and Charles Aránguiz of Chilean team scored 1 goal each. While from Argentina team only Lionel Messi scored goal in the penalty shoot.
- About Copa America (means America Cup in Spanish and Portuguese) title : It is an annual international football competition.
It is played between the men’s national football teams of South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL).